IGNORED

Best Method for Restoring 240z Steering Wheel

lm71z

I've read some threads about restoring a 240z steering wheel, but I'm not sure what method I should use to restore mine. Someone mentioned using an SOS soap pad, which sounds like a good idea. What do you guys think is the best way to restore the wood on a 240z steering wheel to its original look?

Edited by lm71z
  • Like 1

Personally I wouldn't use steel wool. I have done several of these and I just use one of the 3M pads used for doing dishes and some dish washing liquid to clean the ''wood''. this will both remove the old finish and the oils from your hands. Just put it in the sink and scrub the ''wood''. It won't scratch the ''wood'' and when it drys it will be ready to apply the finish of your choice. Use satin black for the metal if you wish the wheel to look original. Gary

Well, if you've already searched and read the old threads, you've already seen all the recommendations. Time to make your own choice.

How helpful is that comment? Im sure he already knew that much. It might be possible that a new idea has surfaced and he is just throwing out a question to see if that idea lands on here.

• Like 1

I cleaned mine thoroughly with a blast or two of Simple Green and a Scotch-Brite kitchen scrub pad. That may leave some of the plastic showing, so be prepared to stain and coat as others have suggested. (Yes, plastic with a molded wood grain, so there is no benefit to using a 'penetrating' staining agent; you need a top coat.) Be certain to let it cure according to the instructions on whatever you coat with. I have been told that Minwax Polyshades works quite well (I just used a Mahogany stain and clear poly on top.) Take the suggestion for painting the metal with satin black (after you prep it properly), too. Doing this will give you a new looking wheel.

Notice, there are not many variations on this theme among those of us that have done it.

We are lucky that these compressed wood & plastic resin steering wheels have held up so well, without cracking, splitting, separating like other "plastic" wheels of this time period. It allows us hobbiests to spruce them up beautifully and inexpensively, without having to send them out to be professionally done. It's a fun project too, that everyone seems to be successful with and no one should be afraid to try. Some great results are shown in those previous threads.

• 3 months later...

I cleaned the wood/plastic rim of the steering wheel with Murphy's Oil Soap and an SOS soap pad. The rim is now very dry and dull looking, but some of the original finish is still there in spots. For those people who have refinished their steering wheel, did you make sure to completely remove the old finish before staining it? I noticed that some people just cleaned the wheel and applied lacquer without staining it. If I were to do that, wouldn't the color of the wheel remain the same after lacquer is applied?