IGNORED

Original Muffler Question

moonpup

I have an original (NOS) muffler and recently I've seen a couple other NOS mufflers that are painted black. I'm guessing that these are ones that are either currently available thru Nissan or if NLA, were recently available.

My question......Would the black ones be judged the same as the ones with the "original finish" at a National Convention show?

post-10534-14150805090973_thumb.jpg

post-10534-14150805091226_thumb.jpg

I have an original (NOS) muffler and recently I've seen a couple other NOS mufflers that are painted black. I'm guessing that these are ones that are either currently available thru Nissan or if NLA, were recently available.

My question......Would the black ones be judged the same as the ones with the "original finish" at a National Convention show?

moonpup,

I also have purchased an NOS exhaust system which was paint black. The black paint on NOS parts has been discussed here before and I think the majority opinion is the black paint is for shelf life protection.

My car was delivery from the showroom with an unfinished, raw metal exhaust system as is found today with most new cars.

Now, to your question. I believe that Zulaytr's orange 1972 car won the gold medallion award a couple of years ago at the nationals. His NOS exhaust system is black as can be seen in one or two pictures in his gallery but I don't know if he lost any points for being painted black.

Hope this helps. I plan on stripping the paint from my system before installation and probably get some high temp galvanized steel colored paint to protect it from oxidizing from repeated heat cycles.

Dan

Hi moonpup,

I think NOS parts never hurts your score for getting the medallion unless you put extremely different years parts.

I put a correct bumper , and a muffler finisher for my 240Z.

I attached pictures with some text, you will see many of bumpers and finisher which are (were) currently available for us is later type.

About the bumper, the side bumper does not have a small cut away when it was new from the factory.

And the finisher,it was a long type when it left from the factory.

But it does not matter,if the parts is NOS and even black, no problem as long as it is clean.I think this is true for the gold medallion.

kats

post-3193-14150805094301_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150805094711_thumb.jpg

At the "judges Meeting" in Cleveland, Todds instruction was, any genuine Nissan part shown as interchangeable in Nissans parts books or Nissan software was not to be counted off for.

I didn't get to verify this but I would think In the final review of those cars headed toward gold medallion, cars with the most original parts(quality not quantity) would score slightly higher because the essesnce is as it was loaded on the ship(forgetting a/c).

Will

Hi moonpup,

I think NOS parts never hurts your score for getting the medallion unless you put extremely different years parts.

I put a correct bumper , and a muffler finisher for my 240Z.

I attached pictures with some text, you will see many of bumpers and finisher which are (were) currently available for us is later type.

And the finisher,it was a long type when it left from the factory.

kats

Hello Kats,

This may be slightly off topic, but, your exhaust system components look great. I, too, have all of the pieces, including the original hangars and early chrome finisher, in NOS condition except for the front down pipe. I found an unrusted downpipe that has the same early 2 into 1 fitting as yours.

Did you paint the system silver, and if so, what paint, or finish, did you use?

Kats, in my opinion, your car is one of a rare few that sets the standards for perfection in restoration. Thanks for the great pics.

Dan

That comment applied to batteries and tires. Taken literally, one could put a '72 dash in a '70 and maintain stock. Not so. What Kats is showing (Hi Kats!) is technically correct for his year of production as it matches the factory service manual (pages FE-3). Silver muffler - not black. Now, before everyone goes out and paints their mufflers silver, have a look at your documentation.

Judging, as was previously mentioned, in mostly about cleanliness. It would be rare for a judge to nip a car because the muffer was painted the wrong suposed color. On the other hand, in Cleveland, a car did not win a gold medallion because the windshield glass was not a Nissan part.

Edited by 26th-Z

....snip...I put a correct bumper , and a muffler finisher for my 240Z.

I attached pictures with some text, you will see many of bumpers and finisher which are (were) currently available for us is later type....snip...

First, thanks to all for your responses, the picture's a little clearer now concerning the mufflers' finish but now I'm a little confused about the "finisher" on the muffler.

Kats, I've always thought the "finisher" was permanently attached to the muffler but the way I'm reading/understanding your post, it seems you are saying that one can purchase it seperately. Is that correct?

Mike. You are correct in that the finisher is permanently attached to the muffler. I have the original muffler still on my car. The tailpipe finisher is welded to the muffler. It must have been welded on at the factory. It is not removeable.

Edited by rtaylor

Kats, I've always thought the "finisher" was permanently attached to the muffler but the way I'm reading/understanding your post, it seems you are saying that one can purchase it seperately. Is that correct?

moonpup, let me jump in here, again. That is correct, the finisher as seen on Kat's car is the original finisher as installed from the factory on the early 240z, up to what year or vin, I do not know. They could be purchased as a separate part, if you can find one, but I think they are NLA in general from Nissan. The finisher that comes installed on the muffler from Nissan is obviously different but may be considered correct for stock judging, but Chris would have to chime in with his thoughts. I ground off this finisher and will tack on the correct original as seen on Kat's car that I bought some years ago from my Nissan parts counter.

Chris, as to the windshield, as Nissan glass is no longer available, I thought that repro parts would have no deductions. How about reproduction interior panels, carpet sets, center consoles, etc. All with point deductions? I may never have the chance to show my car at a National Convention, again, but

...............guess I need to read the judging criteria a little more closely.

Thanks for any input Chris.

Dan