Everything posted by kats
-
240Z Factory battery cable
Nice! I have just replaced the old tired one to the new one, but I am not sure what is the difference between my E4400 with your N3300.
-
Early hood latch parts
Hi, not for the bonnet side but the engine bay, here are some very early examples. The orange car is a Z432 at the 1969 Tokyo Motor show. The white is a press car assumed to be less than 10 cars from the beginning. I see round head screws for some cars, but looks like most of our cars have hexagon head bolts. Kats
-
Z's on BAT and other places collection
Hi, when that blue Z432 was in Japan, it had been taken care of by a racing shop near my house. I am going to tell this auction to the shop owner! He will be happy to see it. The car has an air conditioner, Z432 wasn’t planned for it originally. But he told me that car got in-dash air conditioner components to be operated just like genuine system like Fairlady ZL,240ZL,240ZG. About the color blue 115, I have collected almost all the registered Z432’s data and my friend Mr.Watanabe has been working on gathering information for existing Z432 since late 1990. Then I would say genuine blue 115 Z432 would be one or two. I have never seen one other than that car. Also the roll bar set up, it looks genuine sports option which is ultra rare to come by. The differential is an R180 LSD, correct for the car. R192 LSD was replaced by R180 from October 1971 (That car was registered in June 1972). The S20 was rebuilt with aftermarket pistons to increase 2.5 litter, it runs great. Let’s thank Nissan and Prince, they gave us wonderful engines. L-6 series and S20, both are capable of tuning for more power. Carl mentioned about a tuned L20A (L24 with Solex 175hp listed on the very first brochure needs to be clarified, because Mr.Uemura didn’t know that engine when I asked him about) in a prototype, at that time engineers also tested S20 180ps and 230ps, they achieved those numbers just replacing with sporty carburetors and camshafts, and exhaust pipes. I am not going to say which engine is superior than the other. But I must say S20 has so many things which make me excited. The fact is, S20 was a limited production model. Carefully assembled with experienced workers. Needs a lot of bolts, no bolt is shared with L series, they are different. Also crank shaft bearing caps, they have side bolts to secure. Each gap between the side of crank shaft cap and the engine block was individually measured to have a spacer which was specifically made for the gap. The crank shaft bearing caps and front timing chain covers were all bored at the same time, and also the crank shaft and the fly wheel had dynamic balancing at the factory. Wet liner type cylinders, a side water jacket is unique to my eye. About DOHC 4-valve, I should avoid too much comments here. It is awesome. People really don’t know about S20 was developed for Z432 and GTR at the same time. GTR people in Japan even never imagined the truth. “S20 was for GTR, later we gave it to Z432” but it’s not true. We can tell it from many details of S20. In October 1967, executives thought racing engine (G8B; engine of Prince R380, predecessor of S20) going to install on GT car prior to sports car didn’t make sense. They wanted G8B on Fairlady too. Mr.Uemura didn’t wrote about this but Mr. Hara wrote it in his book, “Executives were all delighted with the new model “Maru- Zed” carrying a G8B, however we needed a lot of time to start its production(New Skyline was almost ready in November 1967 so didn’t need much effort than Z). Not releasing G8B Skyline until Z was ready for production didn’t seem right, so G8B Skyline (GTR:PGC10) was approved and released earlier than Z432.” Like Alan said, Z432 is not just about the engine. It’s about the whole package. I am sure people will love it when they actually see it and drive it. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Thank you too! I want many people to see my car ( I don’t get any money from the publisher BTW) and use it for their cars as a reference, or a discussion material. The suspension struts are not painted in black, and the front disk brakes are not the earliest one, those are the instant check points when you see the book. And more to go! Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
I hope you can proceed to check out, Chris’s guide will work for you! Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
I am glad that you got the book! I was wondering whether the shipper could do overseas properly. I have never heard Japanese web shopping can ship overseas before. That is a good thing for everyone. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
The book arrived! 128 pages of detailed pictures! I think it’s a good source to discuss what is original or not original about my January 1970 Z432. Kats
-
1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build
Hi Patcon, Your beautiful car has been almost completely assembled, a few more small things left, please keep us updated. The glove box lock mechanism, I have never thought about it, I have learned now thank you. I had a trouble with my car last week, I couldn’t find out why the battery died. I finally got it because the glove box door was unintentionally opened and the illumination was on maybe more than 24 hours. I need to fix it. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Hi Chris, I am glad that you ordered it! How are your cars doing? Still working on or completed? Looking forward to hearing from you! Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Thank you Patcon! Have you completed the restoration of your 240Z? Looking forward to seeing you and your car in the future. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Hi! A photo book featuring my Z432 will be on sale soon, a lot of pictures taken by a photographer Mr. Yatsui Isao. https://mm-style.jp/smartphone/detail.html?id=000000005300 He did the same back in 2015 when my Z432 was a top cover of Nostalgic Hero. Enjoy! Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Hi dspillman , did you measure your prop shaft? If it’s a 520mm (E4100) type, the spline is exposed approximately 10mm. Like Carl told us, it was due to misinformation made by Datsun(or Nissan Japan). After September 1971, a 555mm (E8700) type was applied to the FS5C71A&71B so, your gt33 car should have above and you won’t see the spline exposed. Kats
-
Hs30-10324 HH ….ZL
I see the small but important thing of your car’s authentication, see this chopped bracket for the STD front grill. This is exactly the same as my genuine 240ZG. I am feeling it’s very hard to say your car might be a 240ZL as I see so many things on your car is correct for 240ZG. I have seen one example except your car that has ZL marking on the glove box. I have not made a call the shop which restored the car, if they say the car was a 240ZG, then it supports your car also. Kats
-
Hs30-10324 HH ….ZL
I am following this topic, hope you will enjoy to make the car nice like before. Your car has a FS5C71A, very rare combination with a new center console. As a side note, this is a test report of CarGraphic(March1972),HS30-10300, L24-066381.Only23carsinbetween, but the enginewasproducedmorethan1000units. Kats Sorry mytyping is weird because I am in China now.
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
My friend Tomitaku san (an engineer and mechanic of OS GIKEN) made very good series of video of rebuilding an S20. His work, his passion, are just outstanding. And his words are very instructive and full of appreciation for the ex Prince engineers make me so happy. Worth to see for sure. S20 engine is such a great engine. I am glad we have Tomitaku san. Kats
-
S30.world Japan Expedition 2025
Nostalgic Hero, a Japanese very popular classic car magazine featuring this event. I will introduce you each owner one by one. Kats
-
S30.world Japan Expedition 2025
This is an article about the trip, very well written and nice pictures included. It’s only a half of the Expedition, more will be coming later. Kats S30.worldS30.world - Japan Expedition 2025 - Part IJapan Expedition 2025 - Part I
-
S30.world Japan Expedition 2025
Hi Marty, thanks for watching. I am happy you like it. Those cars are all Japanese S30, but if something might have looked interesting to your eye, that’s what we have been trying to do. Kats
-
S30.world Japan Expedition 2025
Thank you Alan, you helped a lot for our Japan Expedition. Your experience in Japan and knowledge of history, culture, etc are very wealthy, also speak Japanese just like me. It was a big decision to me to organize this event but I said yes because I have you Alan. You managed things between team members and Japanese people. Also I thank you our all of team members, a lot of tasks we shared and accomplished. Japanese owners were so delighted with original design sweat shirts, special stickers and sun visors. And a BIG banner hanging on the wall! Florian, Germany Nils, Switzerland Gavin, Australia Jeff, United States Glenn, United States Tom, Hungary Jon, UK Jos, Netherlands And Alex, Switzerland photographer made awesome job for entire trip with us. Thank you! Kats I feel I need to show people how we started in October 2024. The opening of the museum.
-
S30.world Japan Expedition 2025
Hi, Some of you already know about this event, it was held in November 2025. 16 cars displayed in the Keihanna hotel event hall on Sunday 2nd, then town driving from Kyoto to Nara, and Mie on Monday 3rd. All the owners are my very best friends, I have kept in touch since I have got my first car. So I asked each owner to get together to show our cars for S30.world team members. I thank you Chris the founder of S30.world. If without him, It would never have happened. And I thank all the Japanese owners. They drove several hours just to show them for this event. Takeuchi san drove 7 hours in his Z432R from Chiba, Ise san took a ferry boat 600miles from Hokkaido with his LY280 engined ZG. I was so happy that I was able to collect 16 cars, the best of the best in Japan. And every time I see everyone’s smile in this video, it rewards me a lot. Maybe some people have no idea what cars they are, please ask me here, also Alan and other S30.world members would love to answer for your questions. Kats https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWV-wu_A40Q&pp=ygUIUzMwd29ybGQ%3D
-
Z's on BAT and other places collection
Thank you Alan! Also thank you for asking about the rear differential, looks like the car in question has an R160, that is why I felt the portion of the exposed spline something bigger than 35mm. Now I feel better. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
This is my memo for the transmission I have. I don’t think most people here need this information though. For myself, and wish if someone will appreciate it. Kats
-
Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432
Here is a comparison of the two propeller shaft E4100 and E8700 for the FS5C71A and FS5C71B. E4100 is 520mm, for cars up to Sep 1971 E8700 is 555mm, for cars from Sep 1971 Kats
-
Z's on BAT and other places collection
I guess this Datsun Competition catalog might be referred when the mechanic looked for parts. It’s got detailed parts numbers for gears. I am also curious about the car in question might have an R160, not an R180 neither an R192. The easiest way to distinguish them is the bottom corner, R192 doesn’t have a protrusion while others have. Kats
-
Z's on BAT and other places collection
Thanks Alan, I too thought people in the US & Canada could have ordered STD gear ratio FS5C71A and FS5C71B but they couldn’t. The only and reliable source of information was Datsun Competition parts catalog. If they had reached out to look up parts catalog other than their territory, they would have known to order properly. This topic reminds me that I have seen other examples of US 1972-73 cars fitted with an E4100 shaft mated with a 71A, now I see why. Kats