Everything posted by TomoHawk
-
Rockerbox breathers
That's probably why the breather was oil-soaked (from the WOT oil-spray.) I will let the plater know about the baffle when I get the thing plated. But for now, I'll stuff a plug in the tube, and maybe use the old breather for show.
-
Rockerbox breathers
Would you include a PCV check valve? I suppose they make it in 3/4 inch. I'm still wondering how all that oil got through the hose and into the throttle & intake manifold. The old breather was soaked with oil. There must be a bit of oil vapor sneaking through.
-
Rockerbox breathers
That's unlikely, as the engine was rebuilt, but it is conceivable. The throttle is a good place for a leak. Still, the vent tube is unsightly, and a small filter would give it a look of purpose. Even a short tube with an inline filter would look better.
-
Rockerbox breathers
plugging the tube makes no difference.
-
Rockerbox breathers
Is there anything else than the Spectre Performance cone filters that you can use on the rocker box? The biggest one in the AP stores only has a 10 or 13mm neck, and the tube on the top of the rocker box has an 18mm (3/4 inch) tube. I thought a small diameter inline filter would be better than a 2 inch cone, and I don't like piping the oil blow-by into the intake manifold Check the lawn mower or cycle shop maybe? thxZ
-
Clear Plasti-Dip on headlamp Covers?
I have some laminating sheets left over from last summer that I was going to try. It's similar, but maybe too sticky. The graffiti protectors are very interesting- better than clingy-plastic.
-
Clear Plasti-Dip on headlamp Covers?
Thanks for posting the information, but I'm not impressed with the stuff. The test didn't really convince me the screen had a fair opportunity to be scratched. Also, who has 24 hours to wait after applying the spray before driving?
-
Emergency brake stopping at high speed!
That's the only reason you see the brake failure stuff in movies and on TV shows- because they were staged. Now, you'll ask yourself, "How can they have a total brake failure, when there are two independent brake lines in automobiles built at the time?" (for more modern movies & TV shows, of course.)
-
Emergency brake stopping at high speed!
Why don't you just travel within the speed limit, so you don't have to worry about computers, realays, or "killing lights?"
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
You probably serviced the headlamp-electricals more often than on ordinary cars too. Remember that these aren't sealed beam lamps, but aluminum reflectors with H4 bulbs. I tend to go for more safety than most people. I would like to get home safely than have convenience in bulb-changing, but there are limits to even that.
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
I see your point, but I resist using any kind of 'glue' on the headlamp bulb. If you (never) need to change the bulb, then the tape should do for a few year, at least. What about that self-fusing silicone tape? It sounds like it ought to last longer. I just wasn't too keen on relying on the electrical connector to keep the seal between the rubber cover and the lamp reflector tight, even though there are probably hundreds of successful instances.
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
hopefully not hot enough to melt the dielectric grease used to make the seal. Maybe we should've used high-temperature RTV silicone?
-
Emergency brake stopping at high speed!
We did that to slow the car when you see a cop using radar, so you can slow down without looking guilty.
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
We used duct tape to seal the bulb.
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
I"ll look aroundtop see if thes is a rubber boot that fits more tightly. Either that, or a duct tape 'boot.'
-
Removing Oil deposits from Inside Intake
Yeah, the butterfly doesn't want to close completely either. I have to 'blip' the throttle when coasting to get the engine to settle down so the car will slow, like when you get off the freeway. It makes a nice cruise-control tho! at 55 MPH, you can take your foot off the pedal, and the thing will just keep going until you blip it. I thought there was some kind of throttle-body cleaner you could use to get the carbon out of the throttle? You could rub it with the supplied foam blob, or spray it in. But there isn't some other kind of intake cleaner, that you suck in, like Seafoam?
-
Removing Oil deposits from Inside Intake
When I had the intake manifold off for polishing, I noticed there was a layer of black stuff (oil vapor/carbon from the rocker box) inside, so I tried to clean that out too. I tried Gunk Foamy, and several cans of carbureter spray. From the brown liquid that came out, I concluded that some of the black stuff came off, but when you looked in the throttle hole, you could still see it was there. I even tried a treatment of Seafoam, which is typically for carbon deposites on the valves and cylinder head, but this stuff was stubborn. Is there any other way to get the carbon out of the intake manifold, besides taking it off and using some kind of industrial treatrment? the engine is together and nicely detailed, so I don't want to mess with the outsides.
-
Emergency brake stopping at high speed!
Correct. Why do people keep calling it an "Emergency brake?" Yes, you could use it in an emergency, but you're better off downshifting and then finally using the Handbrake. But it was originally designed to keep the vehicle from rolling away after being parked. Remember the old foot-operated parking brake? Your dad (or grandfather) would push it with his foot to engage it after parking the car (or pickup truck, flatbed, 50s sedan, etc, as my dad had) and then pull a release handle to disengage it before driving off again.
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
I think there is enough depth, but the neck, where the connector is, is just to small for the rubber seal to fit. I think the dielectric grease will seal it enough for some occasional splashing. I'm not intending to go underwater! Haha
-
Hella H4 Conversion headlamps don't fit
I got a set of hella H4 conversion headlamps, and I tried them to see how it fits. The H4 bulb goes in fine, then you put the rubber cover on, and when you try to put the lamp into the bucket, the rubber cover hits, so it doesn't fit. It will fit though, with the rubber cover off. Can you do anything besides leave the rubber cover off? I thought of putting a ring of dielectric grease around the bulb flange, so when you clamp it in, it should seal water out. Is there any other tips?
-
Hub Extenders
You don't need hub extenders to attach the ZX wheels, but you do need to know how much room you have to work with for different wheels, considering the offset and backspacing of the ZX wheels.
-
interior bulb replacements
the warm white is now discontinued...
-
interior bulb replacements
the warm white is now discontinued. What's the 4-LED bulb like? I would like to be able to read a paper with driving directions written or printed on it. I think that would imply 6 LEDs
-
Let there be light-----!!!!
I can't find the other thread where we talked about this, but I got an eBay White festoon-LED-panel lamp with 6 white LEDs, and finally got to try it out. It does indeed light up the cabin so you can do most things, but I don't think you can read a coloured map well with it. I don't think it's bright enough. I think the plastic cover diffused dulled the light too much to be better thadulled the light the old standard festoon bulb.
-
Passenger door switch 1978
I need a new door jamb switch for the passenger door on my '78, because the pin is pushed in get in and I can't get it out. I think I can get one from the APS, but the website has several with two wires, but different terminals. All I need to know is what kind of terminals are on the wires; two bullet, or two blade terminals? BTW- Does NAPA have them? thxZ