IGNORED

1971 "Fuel vapor recovery tank"

Tim Walz

Someone with the CD Microfiche please double check what I found on the old style Microfiche.

Part Number

17350-E4600 Used until 6/71

17350-N4601 Used between 7/71 and 7/73

17350-N3400 Used between 8/73 and 8/74

17350-N4600 Used between 9/74 and 11/74

These are the part numbers for the tank in question.

So, the question to Tim is when was your car manufactured? Not the registration year, the year and month listed on the drivers door jamb.

My guess, is that unless he has a Series I 240 which he hasn't said he does, he can use the metal tank which is the one used between 7/71 and 7/73.

I'm thinking that Mike couldn't use it cause he does have a Series I. Mike can you answer?

EScanlon,

Thanks for the details, I certainly don't mind being proven wrong! I suspect they where building '71 series II and '72 in 09/71 because I have seen a few, I'll have to check the VIN's now!

Interesting what is in the microfiche. I am surprised they changed the vapor tank so close to a model change, must have been a real problem with the early ones. I'll have to go look at my friends early '71.

Have fun!

Tim what is the mfg date of your car. This way we can pin down which tank you need.

Mike: Is your 71 240 a late series I or a series II, what is its manufacture date?

This way we can get down to the nitty gritty details.

This is good detective work by all guys.

She's a 6/71 car, and her name is 'Becky'. The '72 tank I tried wouldn't fit. I guess that ought to narrow things down to one part number, I really am glad to have so many knowledgeable people take interest in this discussion! Becky thanks you.

Tim

The plot THICKENS!

It seems that you have an Early 71, this indicates that you did indeed have the PLASTIC Vapor tank. As to why the metal one won't fit, I would venture that the original support brackets for the 70 and early 71 were the same, and hence were made for the vent holes being in the hatch and not the roof pillar. In late 71 and on, as evidenced in my car, they did start using the metal tanks.

And the reason for all the confusion, is that even though your other points, vents on the pillars and not the hatch, point to a series II you still have a lot of the series I in your car that many of the series II pieces won't fit.

I'm in the same boat (remember Royce telling me I had a 72?), unfortunately, I can't help you with this part, I do have access to a Z boneyard, but finding the plastic tank may be a big problem. I will check, but can't guarantee anything since as you know, the part is old, and being plastic may not have survived well, and cost and IF there's one to be found.

Have you checked with the guys at MSA or Victoria British or some of the other places who advertise Z parts?

Lastly, you said you tried to fit a 72 tank. What exactly was the problem, can you work around it? If you were to modify the inner support beam could you get it to work? if so I can send you pictures of my inner beam and even dimensions.

Sorry to have lifted your hopes so high only to say sorry.

You might also give this guy a call; he has a boneyard in Arizona and the possibilities of a tank in his area being in better condition may be higher: Zcarsofarizona@aol.com his phone number is: 480-510-8164

Feel free to use my name, who knows it might be worth something.

Well, someone has sold me a plastic tank (by email, as a result of this site). Pending its condition on arrival, I'll have solved a sticky delemma.... Thanks for all the help, I feel like I know my car much better! P.S. If I get any more responses from people having this part, I'd be glad to pass your name on to them if you'd like, Mike....

Later,

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Walz

P.S. If I get any more responses from people having this part, I'd be glad to pass your name on to them if you'd like, Mike....

Later,

Tim

Yep, Tim, I would like that. My plastic tank is 'fixed', but, I want to replace it if I can.

[m]

I have a 71 model (built 8/71, also 920 paint), and I'm pretty sure it has a metal tank. I've only dealt with the coupling between the hose from this tank and the main filler hose. The coupling was a nylon plastic which cracked in a spiral direction. It was replaced with copper pipe. Are you sure your 9/71 model is not really a 72 model? I thought August was the last month for 71.

Originally posted by EScanlon

My 71 240 manufactured 9/71 (#920 Gold for anyone that has checked the Paint Code post) HAS a Metal Recovery Tank.

Is it possible that the CD shows that up to a given month, they were plastic, then they were metal with a design change even later?

I took one out of a 72 and it's identical to the one I have.

Don't take offense, but please read my post further up on this same subject. :rolleyes:

You'll see why I'm laughing.

I've been through this with just about everyone that's seen, worked on, dealt with, etc etc my car. As soon as I figure out how to transfer my photos of the car to the puter and then figure out how to post the pictures here I'll do so, but till then trust me, it's a 71.

Using Vic/Brit's chassis number identification chart, the car by VIN # is a 1971, but by Production Date it's a 72. :eek:

Using www.zhome.com and here's the URL for those of you who want to read the whole story:

http://zhome.com/History/1970or1971.html

"THE SERIES II 240Z's were produced from Jan. 1971 through Aug. of 1971. (identified by the fresh air exhaust vents relocated to the side or "C" pillar of the car, from their prior position on the rear deck lid.)

These cars were also sold as 1971 Model Year Cars here in the U.S....So both Series I and Series II Z Cars were sold as 1971 Model Year cars.

THE SERIES III 240Z's were produced from Aug. 1971 through Sept. of 1972. (identified by the re-designed center console, and seats that folded forward upon release of the latch).

These cars were all sold as 1972 Model Year cars, because they complied with the 1972 Safety and Emissions standards only."

and using another post on the same site:

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

Begin quote:"

VIN #........MFG MONTH.......COMMENT (BELOW VIN#)

HLS30 48863........10 ......

Last 1971 Model Year Car Build (HLS30 51583 latest reported so far). 1972 Model Year - HLS30 48863 (earliest reported so far). Flip Forward Seats, New Hub Caps, Center Console Redesigned, gas tank door latch eliminated, 5 inch wide wheels made standard, new 4sp. trans. design, rear end moved rearward 35mm (about 1.5 inches).

"End Quote

So, as you can see, my car is a 71. ROFL

Now, if you've read this post, my prior post and taken the time to check out the references I gave, you'll note that there are continuous references to "reported". This is due to the fact that Datsun/Nissan unfortunately hasn't given or doesn't have definitive records as to when a given production run ended and another one began. Therefore zhome is resorting to Z owners registering their cars and reporting their years and mfg. dates. Until all the VIN #'s are accounted for, this is the best we can do.

Weeks ago, in discussing another member's automobile (which has a Vent on one Pillar but not the other) we entertained the notion of how different items would have their stocks run out before a given date and others after.

Additionally, we might consider how the VIN # is assigned. Having worked in an assembly line manufacturing plant, the serial number MAY have been assigned "Upstairs" and not ON the assembly floor (i.e. By a file clerk processing orders and NOT the assembly man who stamped the numbers as the cars came down the line). Or by .......

The point being that while VIN # 43000 (just a guess) was SUPPOSED to be the LAST 1971, MY car VIN # 43274 IS by all the "litmus" tests known, a 1971 Production and Model and Registration Year vehicle.:cool::D

OR (Alternative Argument)

NOT NEITHER A 72! :P