IGNORED

it's official. i am now a Z owner!

clutchdust

hey guys. some of you probably might remember me. i've been posting off-and-on for about a year now.

the saga started with a friend who had a '72 that she let sit for about 5 years before she decided to get it running again. she asked me for help, which of course, i accepted (just because i'm the stunningly nice guy that i am!:geek: ). anyway, we got the car running but she ended up using it as a trade-in on a new hyundai. oh well.

so a couple months ago i went out to her parents house one day after a track event and her dad was very interested in the whole race track experience. so the next day i go out at lunch time and pick him up, take him to the track and get him all dizzy. but i'm just like that!LOL

apparently, i made a bit of an impression on him so he offers to sell me one of his other two Z cars he has sitting there, for $100! i ask, "how can i pass that up?" well, obviously, i can't.

finally, yesterday i take my fresh, crisp five $20 bills and my trailer out there (about 60 miles away) and come back with one very straight, very original '73 240.

it's very straight, with some minor rust. the engine hasn't run in a few years but that (rust) shouldn't be a big issue out here in nevada. i need to replace all the fuel line, rebuild the carbs, clean the fuel tank, secure the exhaust pipe (the back 3 hangers are broken) and replace the tires and it will actually be drivable. well, obviously there will be more to it than that but still, i figure that for about $500, i'll have a running z-car. just damn!:D

Congratulations! Boy you got a deal. I've got one little piece of advice. If the car still has the original carbs (flat tops). Don't waste your time rebuilding them. Parts are pretty hard to find and they are pretty difficult to tune. If they run just leave them for now and get yourself a pair of round tops (71-72). Rebuild those and you will be a happier man.

Good luck.

Ed

thanks guys.

ed: came retro-fitted round tops. how sweet is that?!

started last night draining the bad gas. :sick: crap is caustic! i put about 2 gallons of fresh gas in there to try and help dissolve the sludge and i'll drain that too. i just spent some quality time getting to know the car a little yesterday. i'm thinking this is going to be fun. the only thing i've noticed is it's actually a tighter cockpit (shoulder and hip width) than my vette. never thought i would say that! :ermm:

ya, ya, going to take pics soon. she's nothing to get too excited about yet. i guess that's what separates us "gearhead" types fromnormal people. my wife sees it as a $100 POS that doesn't run and i see it as a future 300hp, 1g street car with great styling.

btw, she's already jealous. she thinks she's third in line behind the vette and the dog!:love: