IGNORED

240Z Springs

dhayes5

My rear left spring was sagging on my '72 240 so while I was reworking the suspension, shocks etc. etc. I installed an Eibach Kit. At first it was ok but I think I am getting old because I don't like the ride to be so harsh and where I am there seem to be plenty of pot holes.

Anyway, I tried to order brand new OEM springs for the car but they are no longer available. I was told that I could have my original springs re-worked, heat treated etc. Is this true? Is it possible to recondition the springs back to their original spring rates and If so does anyone have suggestions as to where to have this done. I am in Raleigh NC.

Yes, it is very possible to "fix" your springs. But you have to realize its a "fix" It will never be as good as they were when they were new or getting new ones, but they heat them back up, put it where its supossed to be, and dunk it in cold water, it will stiffen the metal back up. Just remember, its a quick fix and not a solution.

It's funny how Nissan inventory works. Last year when I re-did my suspension, NOS stock springs were NLA from everywhere. I would be surprised if Courtesy could get them, but would love to see it happen. Let us know if you can get them.

The only other option I could find to get stock springs (and I looked EVERYWHERE) was from Banzai Motorsports: http://www.zzxdatsun.com/

As I recall, they were aftermarket springs made to Nissan specs and were around $360.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Marty

I have a set of NOS Nissan Euro stage 1 springs that I was going to put on my 240 ( OK the fronts are on, havn't gotten to the back yet...) but they haven't been driven on. I might be interested in trading the Eibach kit for them, PM me if you are interested.

I ended up going with some NOS Euros that I got off eBay. They still had the Nissan part# tags identifying them as Stage I Euros.

I was expecting them to lower the car by 3/4". Instead they ended up raising the car by 1+". I am hoping they will settle a little over time, but I guess that is trying to be optimistic.

They are definitely stiffer and significantly reduced body roll. That is with new rubber bushings as well. The ride is stiffer over the bumps, but not harsh at all. I haven't really had a chance to put a lot of miles on them since I finished the project in Mid September.

Someone recommended cutting them down to the height I wanted. I am not so sure about that idea.

Well, thats been my experience with Euros.

Marty

My understanding on the Stage 1 Euros is that they are stiffer and lower the height 1". After I put the fronts on and put the car back on the ground I didn't see any differance and figure that the old originals probably had already sagged that much, so for me the ride height stayed the same even though it may be an inch lower than stock.

Any idea what the spring rate is for the Eibachs is? or what stock is for that matter? The stage 1 euros are 101 Lbs each front and rear.

I don't know where else to get stock springs. I have Tokico springs, lower the car about an inch, with Tokico shocks (non-adjustable) and the ride is not too harsh. Well, kit is not to me anyway. I bought mine in '88 through a shop called Datsonville in Milbrae, CA. I see MSA sells a set with the same description but don't know if they are the same.

Hope it helps and that you find what you want!