IGNORED

My 71 240z

emccallum

This is a recent photo of my 2/71. Pretty much completely restored. At least I thought it was until I got into this group, then found out mine is really very "refreshed". Original engine, tranny, rear end. Although I did change the rear end mounts to let it line up like the later 240's. New everything bushings,calipers, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, springs etc. etc. It has the MSA 6 into 1 header, and a mild Schneider cam, engine and tranny completely overhauled. Interior is all stock except for an aftermarket radio. I bought one of those rear deck things that holds two 6x9 speakers, so I did not have to do any cutting, and can go back with the stock panel if needeed. Everything works including the rear defroster console light and all interior lights. Suspension has front and rear sway bars new springs and gas struts, with urethane bushings. May be a bit stiff for daily driving but corners great. Even with my high profile tires. Sorry guys, I think a z looks best with the panasports and a tire that fills up the wheelwell. Plus it gives some cushion if you hit a curb. Enjoy the ride.

Ernest

post-750-14150791910307_thumb.jpg

looks good.. im trying to do pretty much the same thing with my 71 240.. maybe totally restore it a few more years down the road.. what size are your panasports? i think i might go an inch more diamater.. yours look good though..

My Panasports are 15 inch. With 205/60 tires. If you go with a 16 inch wheel you will need 50 series tires. Tooo pricey for me. I am fond of the classic 70's look, higher profile etc. I guess I am showing my age, but I loved the way they looked when I was a kid. Also, I like to have a bit of cushion between the pothole and the Panasport. Make sure if you go 16 that it will clear the wheel wells with the tire you choose. The lower profile depending on the width may tend to change the camber causing wearing on the inside of the tires. Talk to others before deciding on a wheel / tire combo. Someone besides the salesman! All the best.

Ernest

thank you, thats what im doing, i would like a little lower profile but not much.. that's why i ask what size your were i'm researching wheel and tire combos i still have plenty or trend on thr tires mounted on the stock rims now they will do just fine for now, i have many other things to take care of.. thank for the reply.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by emccallum

My Panasports are 15 inch. With 205/60 tires. If you go with a 16 inch wheel you will need 50 series tires. Tooo pricey for me. I am fond of the classic 70's look, higher profile etc.

I'm the same way. Huge rims with super-low profile tires are all the rage now, but I just can't bring myself to swap out my 14" slot mags. They are (to me) the definitive rim for my car. Anything else wouldn't look right.

Uhhhhh

how nice is it?

man, that's exactly the wheels I wanna get one day...

Is it just me, or is your left side DATSUN badge on a bit of an angle?

How much did your wheel & tyre setup cost all together?

Hate to tell you this Alphadog but that's the way its supposed to be, just harder to tell if the emblems aren't in perfect condition like the ones in the photo.

Panasports ain't cheap, figure in the 200 to 225 (that's in US dollars) each for 15 inch depending on whom you purchase them from ( 16 inch can go up to 250+ each). Tires can be about half of that, again depending on what size and brand you decide on. If you have to have the look, you will have to pay the price. I wanted a set of Panasports on my first Z 10 years ago, it wasn't until last year I finally got a set for the car I'm working on.

My apologies Alfa, I'd looked at the Gold Z and not the Red Z.

Yes, now that you mention it, it does look a bit odd. I downloaded the picture and blew it up in size and it almost looks as though those aren't the correct Datsun emblems.

Ok, emccallum, give it up, what gives?