IGNORED

Steering Rack Grease Reservoir

26th-Z

The original grease fitting for the steering rack PN C4366-0501P was a plastic cylinder that screwed into the rack housing. A useless part, most were thrown away when the rack was greased and replaced with a nipple grease fitting. See parts fiche B 16 section 101-4 item number 25 "reservoir-oil (with grease)" I might make reproductions if I find a nice one.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of them got replaced with a grease fitting not only because people wanted to be able to grease the rack manually, but also because they stand up so high they ended up getting snapped off by mistake. Out of the 4 racks I have in the garage, only one has one. One has a plug, and the other 2 have zerk fittings.....

Here's a pic of the good one on my 71....

post-1499-14150793166432_thumb.jpg

I would guess these items are pretty rare anyway as I think they were only on 70&71 cars. The racks I have for later cars have a factory small plate welded over the larger hole to take a smaller grease gun fitting. Is that a zerk fitting? The reservoir wouldn't fit into the smaller hole.