Swapping Out the AFM - Fuel Injection - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Swapping Out the AFM

Featured Replies

Can I change out the AFM (Air flow meter) myself? Dealer did a tune-up and tells me the egine is way rich ("off the scale") and wants to charge me $600 for the AFM alone :shock: . So I think I will give it a go, or have the regular service guy do it?

VB and MSA both have the AFM for under $200 with a $100 core.

My aim with this one is to end the dripping of liquid (gas?) out of the tailpipe. I think I might get an addition few mpg out of this too (currently ~18, would like 22 (400 miles per tank).

thx.

600? Yeesh.....

By all means, get yourself the new AFM, get yourself a brand new Factory Service Manual for 75 bucks if you don't have one already, and change it yourself....

It's only a couple clamps and 4 bolts and a wiring harness to undo... oh, there might be a vacuum hose hdiding underneath too...

The factory service manual will tell you how to properly set the AFM..so for half the price, you have the satisfaction of knowing it's done at least as good, and in some cases, better than a shop would do it...

Just ask ZMeFly..... sometimes doing it yourself is not only more rewarding, but a heck of a lot better than someone doing a half-arsed job on it.

Do it yourself, it's very easy. By the way, what model car do you have? I have several used AFM's that I could sell for $60 and down.

James Roraback

1983 Datsun 280zxt

  • Author

I mentioned the phrase "go to a show" and right away the tekkie at the dealer started seeing $$$!!! He tells me I'll need to renew just about everything to get it working right, starting with that junky wiring harness. I tried to explain I want the engine working right & 'reliable' so I can go TO car shows with my Z. Some people at the local cruise-ins get a kick out of that ol' beastie, so I thought I might fix it up fairly well as well as the GTO body kit I got.

So I'll look into the factory book. It might be a (little) better than the Haynes book?

Some people...

Oh SPORK - It's a "79 280Z" but some will say it's a 280Z built 11/78.

contact me via email at magnum@nacs.net

thx.

The FSM is so much better than the Haynes, you'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner.....:ermm:

Andy Russell has them for most all years of the cars..

e-mail him at z@datsundude.com

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I inquired at the local Nissan dealer about getting the FSM, and they don't carry it. I even heard you can get it on CD somewhere. Anyway, the dealer gave me the number of a local publisher, who could print out a copy for me for $75. Maybe that's what the others are talking avout.

Don't know about copies, but the one I got from Andy for the 71 is a brand new factory original as fas as I can tell.

  • Author

What i ment was that the printer will print you a new copy bound & all. Brand new, hot off the printing machine.

  • 7 years later...
Do it yourself, it's very easy. By the way, what model car do you have? I have several used AFM's that I could sell for $60 and down.

James Roraback

1983 Datsun 280zxt

I have a 78 280 2+2, i need....AFM water temp sensor, air temp sensor, air regulator...

Bob

What i ment was that the printer will print you a new copy bound & all. Brand new, hot off the printing machine.

I will sell u a cd for 50.00 it has 240z-1972,73, the 260z-1974 and 280z-1975 thru 1983

Bob

I will sell u a cd for 50.00 it has 240z-1972,73, the 260z-1974 and 280z-1975 thru 1983

Bob

All available as download without the $50...:rolleyes:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.