IGNORED

Swapping Out the AFM

TomoHawk

Can I change out the AFM (Air flow meter) myself? Dealer did a tune-up and tells me the egine is way rich ("off the scale") and wants to charge me $600 for the AFM alone :shock: . So I think I will give it a go, or have the regular service guy do it?

VB and MSA both have the AFM for under $200 with a $100 core.

My aim with this one is to end the dripping of liquid (gas?) out of the tailpipe. I think I might get an addition few mpg out of this too (currently ~18, would like 22 (400 miles per tank).

thx.

600? Yeesh.....

By all means, get yourself the new AFM, get yourself a brand new Factory Service Manual for 75 bucks if you don't have one already, and change it yourself....

It's only a couple clamps and 4 bolts and a wiring harness to undo... oh, there might be a vacuum hose hdiding underneath too...

The factory service manual will tell you how to properly set the AFM..so for half the price, you have the satisfaction of knowing it's done at least as good, and in some cases, better than a shop would do it...

Just ask ZMeFly..... sometimes doing it yourself is not only more rewarding, but a heck of a lot better than someone doing a half-arsed job on it.

I mentioned the phrase "go to a show" and right away the tekkie at the dealer started seeing $$$!!! He tells me I'll need to renew just about everything to get it working right, starting with that junky wiring harness. I tried to explain I want the engine working right & 'reliable' so I can go TO car shows with my Z. Some people at the local cruise-ins get a kick out of that ol' beastie, so I thought I might fix it up fairly well as well as the GTO body kit I got.

So I'll look into the factory book. It might be a (little) better than the Haynes book?

Some people...

Oh SPORK - It's a "79 280Z" but some will say it's a 280Z built 11/78.

contact me via email at magnum@nacs.net

thx.

I inquired at the local Nissan dealer about getting the FSM, and they don't carry it. I even heard you can get it on CD somewhere. Anyway, the dealer gave me the number of a local publisher, who could print out a copy for me for $75. Maybe that's what the others are talking avout.

• 7 years later...
Do it yourself, it's very easy. By the way, what model car do you have? I have several used AFM's that I could sell for $60 and down.

James Roraback

1983 Datsun 280zxt

I have a 78 280 2+2, i need....AFM water temp sensor, air temp sensor, air regulator...

Bob