IGNORED

Not original but looks like original for 240Z press photo

kats

Kats,

I spent some time with Photoshop on this picture, but it is pretty good. If you can enlarge the picture, most everything can be read. I have trouble making photographs of auto parts! I changed the brightness and contrast - also took some stains out!

This tire is my only one - the spare, and I have been unsure of originality. I know I never used it since 1984, however, it shows signs of use. And abuse! It was rust stained and the wheel was rusted before I restored them. The air pressure in the tire is by inner tube. I soaked the tire in rubber preservative in a big bag for two months. It had some paint overspray in spots below the holes in the cover board and most of it came off. It is not suitable to drive.

I am told this tire is no longer made. Anyone want to help me out on this? Also, opinions of originality?

post-4148-14150793055742_thumb.jpg

Oh yea,

The wheel is date stamped 10/69 - original. I took this wheel over to a restoration shop in Wauchula, Florida. They have huge alkaline dipping tanks and they de-rust by electrolysis in alkaline solution. This is what I plan to do with the chassis, so I wanted to see how it worked. It was $60 to dip the wheel and I asked them to paint it “The same color”. Six weeks later, they called me to ask what color I want the wheel painted, it was dipped and ready to paint. Two weeks after that, I went to get it and it was gloss black. Now get this…the tab was $170.

Sharp learning curve in this restoration business. Wouldn’t you say?

This has been the spare tire from hell. You could hear the rubber cracking when I took the tire off the rim. It soaked in a lawn bag, and every few days, I would get it out, wipe it down, and re-spray it with preservative. Slowly, most of the stains came out. Most of the overspray, too. There are permanent indentations on the backside from the ribs on the bottom of the tire well.

If it’s an original, it’s worth it. An original example in pretty decent shape. I still wipe it down and the shine on the wheel is probably from the preservative. It’s flat black and the backside is silver. It is also one of my few restored pieces. I just finished some ashtrays. I will start another thread.

Hi,

Thank you very much,240 in OZ.

I saw them 175HR14 on ebay and I was going to bid but I did not.Because I wanted 175SR14,I wanted which I saw in catalog and it was different from the ebay item.

I think the photo of 26th-Z is showing exactly original 1970 175 SR14.Because I can see same tread pattern in many magazines and factory catalog.

I still want to buy 175 SR14,I posted "wanted" in other thread before.I will resume that thread.

To 26th-Z,may I use your photo "175SR14"for my other"wanted" thread?

If you allow me to attach the photo,it is easy to show everyone what I want .

Thank you,

kats

P.S.You can see the tread pattern in this photo.Same as 26th-Z's

photo,is not it?

This is a HLS30 for test drive on Nov 25th 1969.

This day was a test drive day for journalists.

There were 3Zs, a yellow fairlady Z-L, a green fairlady Z-432,

and a DATSUN 240Z not mention color(seems me green with tan interior).

Please note no-rear window defroster,and a lisence plate is a temporaly issued one which we can see it in all Zs in the earliest japanese catalog.

And deck emblem"240Z" has "Z" in chrome plated not painted white,this is only for early(1969)?

post-3193-14150793060015_thumb.jpg

Hi Kats,

Great photos you posted - as usual!

That's very interesting about the November 25th press road-tests. I presume that this was the beginning of most of the press reports and road tests that started to appear in the December 1969 and January 1970 Japanese matoring magazines?

There was a press-preview event in early October 1969 -before the Tokyo Motor Show - where members of the press were invited to look at some cars wasn't there? They could not drive them - and most of them were displayed indoors ( with a 432 and one other model - the "Export" car? outside ).

It seems that these press-preview cars were DIFFERENT cars again to the ones that they got to test-drive in November. That's interesting. They were using quite a few different cars for these events.

Here's a picture of a Fairlady Z ( base model ) at the Press Preview event:

post-2116-14150793062752_thumb.jpg