Alternator upgrade (MSA) - engine won't start and plug is HOT - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Alternator upgrade (MSA) - engine won't start and plug is HOT

Featured Replies

I bought the alternator upgrade kit from MSA for my 1970 car. It's a 280ZX rebuilt alternator with a pre-built adapter that plugs into the wiring harness.

Not sure what's going on. here are my observations:

  1. engine cranks, does not fire. Was running normally earlier today before swapping alternator.

  2. After cranking a bit, I went to inspect. The white plug that fits into the wiring harness was hot. In a way that didn't need normal, and felt short-y.

  3. disconnected battery

  4. checked continuity between car ground and case and E post: ok.

  5. reconnected battery for test: getting 12+ V at the B post

  6. Didn't know what to check with the little 2-wire T plug.

  7. no continuity between B and E post / B and casing.

  8. On the adapter plug, with the stick-out-y bit at the bottom, the bottom pair of plus show continuity. The top 2 do not.

have the plug out and the battery disconnected until I know what's going on.

IMG_2177 Large.jpeg

IMG_2178 Large.jpeg

I tried this upgrade years ago and while I did not have the problems you are seeing I did have one issue: my ammeter was non-responsive/dead! I reversed course and opted for a reman 60A Hitachi externally regulated alternator and new voltage regulator from Rockauto. All is well.

On the alternator measure resistance to ground on both pins. You might have a short circuit in the alternator. New does not guarantee good.

One pin goes through the windings and the other measures output from the alternator. Both should have some resistance. I think that S should probably have infinite resistance. Not sure, but it should definitely not be low resistance to ground since it's connected directly to the battery. I would also measure resistance between BAT and E.

I would also turn the key on and see if the new white connector gets hot when it's disconnected. There could be a short inside the connector.

ZX alternator pinout.

image.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.