Ignition relay question - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Ignition relay question

Featured Replies

Gents

I'm almost completed with my rebuild and have a quick question regarding the ignition relay. If you're not running the stock EFI or stock ignition system (I've updated mine to stand alone units) is this necessary?

Thanks
Cheers


Yes. These circuits are powered off the ignition relay.

image.png

image.png

  • Author
3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Yes. These circuits are powered off the ignition relay.

image.png

image.png

Thanks Steve that's what I thought.

11 hours ago, Pomorza said:

regarding the ignition relay. If you're not running the stock EFI or stock ignition system

Any chance you're talking about the combined EFI/fuel pump relay? It's the one on the driver's side, left of the steering wheel under the dash panel. The ignition relay is over by the fuse box. You mentioned EFI.

image.png

What year is the car? That particular relay on a 78 is in the relay box on the RF strut tower. After going back to the thread I see It’s a 76 model.

Edited by Yarb

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
6 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Any chance you're talking about the combined EFI/fuel pump relay? It's the one on the driver's side, left of the steering wheel under the dash panel. The ignition relay is over by the fuse box. You mentioned EFI.

image.png

Yup talking about the ignition relay on the relay box above the fuse box. I'm was tracing down a parasitic draw on my battery and I knew it was coming from this area. It ended up being the horn relay - not sure if its burn out or not but it was on at all times pulling about 2A. I don't believe mine had that relay.

Edited by Pomorza

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.