Carpet Kits for 240z (Current 2026) - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Carpet Kits for 240z (Current 2026)

Featured Replies

Hello everyone. I have been reading about carpet kits for months now and am not really any closer to feeling confident about moving forward.

I have a Jan/1971 car with the rear vertical plastic tool box covers.

I would like as much carpet for the floor as possible but will retain the diamond vinyl tunnel, side sill and rear towers.

I do read about some differences between the rear tool box fitment but honestly cant tell which is specific for my car based on the photos of the kits. For example MSA (The Z Store) mentions, "Please inspect your floors prior to ordering. This carpet kit is designed to fit early style floors (vertical tool doors); however, we have seen some early models with late style floors and late models with early floors (especially on 1971 models). The easiest way to tell is by confirming which style tool doors your car has. Early and late kits are not interchangeable with each other."

Does the "vertical" tool door carpet cover the plastic doors or does it mount underneath and leave the doors exposed?

I would love to find a fully covering kit that does not require stitching and/or edging to be finished. I am also looking for the original "loop" style in black.

With the exception of the MSA kit which has no pictures, all the other 5-piece sets seem to be the same set. The 7-piece sets all appear to be the same as well. Are there really just 2 suppliers and possibly a unique MSA 5-piece set that fits differently for the "vertical" tool boxes?

Five piece kits

MSA (The Z Store) - Sectional Carpet Kit, Loop, 70-Early 71 240Z

StockInteriors.com - 1970-1973 Datsun 240Z Cut and Sewn Carpet, Complete Kit

Ocautocarpets.com - 1970-1973 Nissan 240Z 5 piece set Loop

Seven piece kits

Newarkauto - 1970-73 Datsun 240Z Complete Auto Carpet Kit

Resurrectedclassics - 1970-1974 Datsun 240z 260z Complete carpet kit OEM Style

ZCarDepot - Carpet Kit Set 240Z 260Z 70-74

Other Mentions

Chester and Herod Auto Carpets

Datsun Spirit, Inc.

Thank everyone

I bought mine from Newark. It's an excellent set and I highly recommend it. I bought the loop pile - like stock.

I bought the kit with the carpet for trans tunnel and rockers. I like the small diamond vinyl used in the 260 so I didn't use the tunnel carpet - yet. I did use the rocker carpet and like it a lot rather than the original vinyl. Mine is an early 260 so it has similarities with the late 240's and the changes that were being made to morph into the 280. The Newark kit fits well and is very well made.

  • Author

Thanks @cgsheen1 That is helpful for understanding the quality.

I am really hoping someone can add information about the early vertical tool boxes and fitment.

Cheers

I spoke to Chester and Herrods a while back. I will probably go that route later this year when I get to carpeting. I believe he could make whatever you want and he seemed to understand the unique requirements for an early car as well as the slots at the back of the floor mats for the retention clips

  • Author

Thanks @Patcon Did you get a price and what it will cover? I have not read favorable reviews of the S30 kit. Many seem to laude it, citing that is was the supplier for the Nissan restoration project in the 1990's, IDK...

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Call Jim at seven60 877 3403

I was told 5pcs was $300

2 front, 2 rear and cargo area.

Black loop.

It's been a year so prices have probably moved

I went through the process of determining which carpet supplier most closelymatches the set installed as OE in 1970. (Remember, originally Nissan shipped the early production vehicles with rubber mats.)

Back in 2015, some of the sellers of carpet kits offered to send me swatches of the material used in the sets. If you are determined to get a set that closely matches OE, I recommend you do the same due diligence.

Since I did my research 11 years ago, I am certain that carpet material supplied to the kit manufacturers have changed.

Best of luck in your project and please share the results of your research, both good and bad.

Keith

I think I can help with the carpet pieces for the plastic

tool storage covers behind the seats. I am the original

owner of a 1/71, hls30-20XXX, car. The original carpet

was cut pile, not loop. There have been discussions here

when loop and cut pile carpet was used on various models

Years. I made my own carpet set copied from original OEM

examples. I have included pictures below of those pieces.

DanIMG_0015.jpegIMG_0016.jpegIMG_0017.jpeg

  • Author

Wow @AZ-240z those pieces don't look anything like what I have seen anywhere. They look pretty good, far better than I think I could produce. Thank you for the pics and helping expand my understanding!

@DrFeelGood, while we’re talking originality, the rear deck carpet

goes up and under the plastic luggage stopper and the screws for the

luggage belt mounting brackets mounted on top of the carpet go

through the carpet, often done incorrectly.

Best of luck with your project and let me know if I can help.IMG_0057.jpegIMG_0145.jpegIMG_0147.jpegL

  • Author

@AZ-240z These are the best pics I have seen yet (as in never before seen). I am aware of the rear "smugglers bin" storage points on the later 240z cars and the split nature of the rear carpet. I have already conceded that I will not be able to find a single rear carpet set that is correct for the car and cargo straps (sigh). This will not be a concourse car as it already has a 1972 dash (clean without cracks) and matching 1972 center console. I have also put on 1972 front marker lights because they were in much better shape than mine and they have full rubber boots. I would love to get as much floor coverage as possible and your pics really help. Beautiful by the way!

Cheers

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.