IGNORED

What does this lever do?

240znz

First post on my Zed.

Attached is a photo of the two levers that are in the console in my 71 240Z. The left hand one is the choke (has typical butterfly symbol) but the lever on the right has got me stumped.

It is a symbol that I can best describe as a butterfly in a venturi with three what looks like squirts of some thing at the bottom of the venturi.

My Haynes manual turns up on Friday but its bugging me.

Cheers.

You heard right, a hand throttle.

It was the 240z version of cruise control!

It only appeared in the early models, such as your's.

Probably of no use in NZ, but no-doubtably popular on the freeways in Japan and the US.

By the way, congratualtions on a fine pickup.

Thanks Zedrally...yes I am happy as hell to have it...at last. Not without some work mind you but that was realised once I had had a good look at it, so I kno wwhat I'm in for.

As for the hand throttle.....what a classic. Yes we have enough straight roads in New Zealand to use it. I tried using it when I drove it home but it didn't do anything. I'll add it to the list (ever expanding) of things to do/sort/fit/swear at.

Cheers.

If the hand throttle is not working, it may be disconnected at the attach point, check in the cabin next to the steering column it attaches to the normal throttle set upat the top, you should be able to see it clearly with a torch when you actuate the throttle lever.

Cheer

Steve :classic:

Originally posted by 240znz

Thanks Zedrally...yes I am happy as hell to have it...at last. Not without some work mind you but that was realised once I had had a good look at it, so I kno wwhat I'm in for.

As for the hand throttle.....what a classic. Yes we have enough straight roads in New Zealand to use it. I tried using it when I drove it home but it didn't do anything. I'll add it to the list (ever expanding) of things to do/sort/fit/swear at.

Cheers.

Bastard early Z owners :cry: you guys get all the special goods LOL.

Nah that's why I want an early 240z series 1 as they are refered to, just because they have all the little things the later ones don't and of course there more valuble , you look after her now won't you.:love:

Few American cars had this to begin with, and even fewer survived the Dealer "prep" on this item (they removed them).

Sadly, American's were not easily accustomed to a hand throttle and more problems and liabilities arose from it than it was worth.

Although several folks refer to it as a "Crude Early 240Z Cruise Control", I've heard that it actually was supposed to be used in warming the engine up in cold climates.

I just checked my owner's manual (U.S.) and no mention, nor illustration of it could be found.

Maybe someone like Alan can help elucidate on this.

2¢

My 11/69 US production car has the hand throttle...although the PO removed the cable from it (he said that he thought it was dangerous :finger: ). Looks like I should be able to fabricate a cable to get it to work again since the lever is still there. I don't know what the connection looks like on the throttle linkage end yet - hopefully he didn't remove something there as well that I'll have to find and replace...

If I recall, you CAN get the complete Choke & Throttle Cable and lever linkage from MSA. Not sure about VB. I got mine from a boneyard.

As far as how it connects, this is tricky as it is important to remember that the throttle is connected directly to the accelerator pedal. It connects to the TOP of the linkage so that when you PULL on the lever it also pulls on the lever that your foot PUSHES on. The mechanism is such that if you should push on the pedal you will not bind nor have the cable disconnect.

The cable has the regular sheathing and end ball of lead. The cable goes through a nylon cable holder that clips onto the top of the acc. pedal. The cable holder keeps the cable attached to the pedal while you use the pedal normally. Then when you pull on the lever for the throttle the lead ball is too big to go through the hole in the holder, hence you pull on the lever. Just like if you were holding your foot on the pedal.

If you should wish to accelerate more than the hand throttle is set for, that's no problem as the cable will just slip through the holder.

FWIW

Enrique