First post, finding help on 2 topics - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

First post, finding help on 2 topics

Featured Replies

Hi Everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller.

My ask:

1. The best dash removal and new dash pad installation thread, YouTube, or service manual reference. I plan to tackle it this weekend.

2. I am looking for a place to repair or buy a "new" temp/fuel gauge as the one I have in the dash was broken and loose. I have asked Ron @ Zclocks but he recommended I seek help here. I would like to have the original repaired OR a factory OEM replacement in there.

I am active on the Reddit page, but I believe that the wealth of knowledge on this forum is going to far surpass what Reddit has to offer. I am working on a 1971 240z that my grandfather bought new, and now I'm repairing it to it's original beauty. The engine is currently @ Datsun Spirit.

Thank you for the help! Pic is for attention.

20250526_171051495_iOS.heic

Removing the dashboard is pretty easy, I just DIY restored mine on my 1977 280z. Even though I have a 280z I believe the 240z should be about the same.

For me I just had to remove the steering wheel, disconnect the three plugs in the passenger side footwell, loosen six bolts up top (under the vent cover, two in the middle end two on each side) and four bolts on the bottom behind the center console. The last step is to disconnect the speedometer cable (might need players for that) and then just pull her out.

Removing the dashboard is doable by yourself but a second person makes it a lot easier as the dashboard is pretty heavy.

I used this video for a bit of guidance but as for anything on the S30 Z’s most things are pretty straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQ_W2ZcqIE

Here are also a couple pictures I have on hand that might help you a bit with locating bolt holes, electrical connectors or the speedometer cable.

WhatsApp Image 2026-04-02 at 14.52.57(3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-05-04 at 10.32.13 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-05-12 at 10.14.28 (3).jpeg

2 hours ago, DJDean13 said:

2. I am looking for a place to repair or buy a "new" temp/fuel gauge as the one I have in the dash was broken and loose.

I looked at my gauges and the are paired as Temp / Oil Pressure on the left of the three. The middle is Amp / and Fuel. The Right side being the clock.

You put the Temp and Fuel together. Can you clarify? I may have some used gauges I can part with.

  • Author

Apologies, I didn't have the gauge in front of me. You are correct, temp and oil pressure.

Just to clarify, the gauge worked when it was in the car, but the glass is extraordinarily loose. I pulled it hoping someone could repair or I could replace it.

Edited by DJDean13

Nissan changed the font details on the gauges over the years so if you're doing a precise restoration, be careful. I don't know when the changes occured but I know that 1976 and 1978 were different. You could probably change the face plates if necessary. But it sounds like your gauges might actually work, something else is broken. Might help to define

3 hours ago, DJDean13 said:

broken and loose

Good luck.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
8 hours ago, DJDean13 said:

Apologies, I didn't have the gauge in front of me. You are correct, temp and oil pressure.

As @Zed Head stated there were different fonts on the gauges. I see at least two in my stock.

The earlier cars seem to have a tall narrow "O" for the word oil. Whereas the later cars 280's look to have a more round "O" The other letters are different too I just used the O as an example.

There maybe more differences in the early cars, so If you are interested in a replacement, perhaps you can snap a pic of your gauge to compare.

Only the early 70 cars went to 140 (10 bar) everything after that was 90 (6 bar)

Here is the other font I found so far. 77-78 280Z. The temp starts at 120, no mid line either.

Screen Shot 2026-05-19 at 6.47.55 PM.png

15 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

Only the early 70 cars went to 140

Maybe you meant early 71? When I was browsing around I found both in 1971 cars. Just did another browse and am finding more 140's than 90's. Looks like maybe early VIN cars had 140. Not a big deal, just a curiosity.

Funny though, mid-scale is either 45 or 70 psi. Maybe they changed the gauge because oil pressure looked low on the 140 gauges.

Picture 30

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-346/

Picture 94

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-329/

You are correct, it looks like upto Vin 21001 had the 140 gauge and sender.

Screen Shot 2026-05-20 at 11.40.14 AM.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.