IGNORED

Timing Chain Tensioner Extended too much?

Ownallday

9 minutes ago, Ownallday said:

Little update, called the machine shop and they said they removed only about 0.003-0.004 inch when shaving the head since mine was relatively straight and I didn't specify how much to remove so they removed as little as possible. Gives me a little more confidence my chain is just extremely stretched and a new one should solve it

This should make you feel better.  I found the picture of mine before I installed the new chain kit.  Notice how much stick out I had.  The only change was replacing the chain, gears, guides, and tensioner.

IMG_4939.JPG

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

This should make you feel better.  I found the picture of mine before I installed the new chain kit.  Notice how much stick out I had.  The only change was replacing the chain, gears, guides, and tensioner.

IMG_4939.JPG

That looks about as similar to what I have now. That brings a lot of extra relief to me haha. Thanks for sharing. Will share pictures tomorrow of my results.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Looks way better!

So I can see the timing mark on the cam sprocket. Using position 1 (which makes sense with new timing components), but I can't see the mark on the crank gear. Are you positive sure you got the timing marks correct?

100% positive, the timing chain is covering the timing mark on the crank gear but I made sure it was on the mark with the darker link in this timingchains case. For the most part to my knowledge too, the crank gear dimple can only be in one general area with the engine at tdc which is where the darker link is in combination with the cam gear.

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Perfect. Then throw the front cover on and fire that thing up!!    :excl:   Haha!

I also noticed that you are running the eccentric cam to drive a fuel pump, but you certainly are not going to be running a mechanical fuel pump with that EFI system. Doesn't hurt anything, just unnecessary.

She's ready to fire up this week! Been a 8 month process!

That's pretty much what the engine came with when I picked it up and tore down, had it on my last engine with no issues and electric fuel pump so just threw it on, wasn't actually sure you can just remove it.

20 minutes ago, Ownallday said:

She's ready to fire up this week! Been a 8 month process!

That's pretty much what the engine came with when I picked it up and tore down, had it on my last engine with no issues and electric fuel pump so just threw it on, wasn't actually sure you can just remove it.

Remove the mechanical pump and install a block off plate to cover the hole.

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I would remove the eccentric. It will only add vibration and wear

Alright, I'll remove it after 500 miles since I'll have to go back in at that time to retorque the arp head bolts and probably do a valve adjustment again during break in.

• Like 2