IGNORED

280Z 2+2 Rust damage on interior floor pans - how severe/bad is this?

Paulytunes

9 hours ago, Paulytunes said:

Passenger Side:  The frame rail was replaced by a previous owner.  You can see areas where it has been bolted in.  As far as I know, this was not stock (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).  It looks beefier too, like some of the replacement rails (maybe from Dragon Z?) I saw online. 

I've never seen this type of bolt-on floor rail before.  In terms of its contribution to structural reinforcement, the word 'optimistic' comes to mind!

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, grannyknot said:

You need new pans and rails, from the extensive rust your photos are showing now I don't think it is even worth removing any more of the tar and paint.  It's a big job for sure, but so is trying to weld patches to punky old metal like the last guy did.

Thanks.  I feel like it is peeling back an onion, the more I dig, the more I find.  Even where the metal is good, it seems somewhat thin and bendable now all of the fill material has been ground away.  I certainly did not expect the hole in the passenger side to be that large, or the rivet patch on the driver side to be that big.  SMH.  Oh well. 

I feel like Tyler Hoover, my car is giving me an extensive bill for the holidays.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Namerow said:

I've never seen this type of bolt-on floor rail before.  In terms of its contribution to structural reinforcement, the word 'optimistic' comes to mind!

I thought I saw some that were like this on one of the Z specific websites.  I'll look again.  Even still, this is troublesome if the passenger rail repair was done by the same guy who put in the coffee cans and Bondo and then covered it with new tar mat and called it a day.  As Warrant Officer Ripley says, "Nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

5 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

Ion addition to the above, your DS rocker appears to be rotted through at the front (pic4) - which means the various inner sections are likely in need of repair/sectioning. 

If you haven't already, look at Dave 71/240Z thread for clear pic of what the repair work will look like

Looks like I have got a real project on my hands!  I will take a look.  

• Like 2