IGNORED

Need hatch strut (single style) for 8/71 240Z

Royce

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Mity Lift from AutoZone (special order for $41 in Phoenix, AZ) and it fits, and works, very well with just a little shimming of the pivot mount required to clear the original lower bracket. The hatch just about leaps up now when you release the latch!

Of course it is not exactly original.......:(

Randy in AZ

Hey royce,I have had limited success by putting a hose clamp around the top of the tube (the end the shaft slides out of).Play with it to find proper tention.its not pretty,but perhaps it will get you by till you find the correct replacement. Daniel

I remember when someone used to come into the hardware/gardening store where I worked ages ago with an old wagon in which the gas strut had stopped working and wouldn't hold the tailgate up.

His Solution: drill a small hole through the shaft in the open position, and attach a small nail on a chain to fit through the hold and hold the tailgate open. Not very elegant, but better than holding the hatch open with a 4x2 lump of timber.

(and just incase your stupid read below)

Now dont go drilling into the gas can part (the fat black part), drill through the strut piston part (the chrome skinny bit).

Mr C

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...