IGNORED

Better Than Bondo??

mayolives

Thanks for all the good suggestions.  I don't have much experience with body work.  I've paid the price to others over my many years.  I agree with comments about the rusted area probably being larger that I can see now.  I've used POR 15 products for years and I know it's good stuff.  Too bad I don't weld so I plan on using the short hair fiber route.  Hopefully the so called "matching" aero paint I ordered will make it all look good. 

• Like 1

Speaking of POR15, I’m sure most folks here have bought a can no matter the size, Use it once and attempt to reseal it the best you can only to find out a while later that when you finally get the can open that expensive POR 15 is dried up!! Went to a fellow members shop in Al. No it was not @siteunseen!! Kenny showed me a trick that was passed on to him. When you buy a new can Don’t open it. Take a punch one hole on each side of the lid. Take two lag screws and put ‘em in. When you’re ready to pour remove both screws. Pour out what you need in a disposable cup, reinstall the screws flip it upside down to seal the screws and you’re ready for next time. He’s had this can for over a year and used it multiple times. Maybe it’s an old trick but a first for me. Hope that helps someone out there.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Yarb said:

Pour out what you need in a disposable cup,

Yes, if you don't do this and dip the brush in the pot then you infect the whole pot with rust particles and the chemical proces starts the hardening of the whole pot.

This also happens with all kinds of other chemical rust converters..  (Like rostjäger en Fertan)  

Always take apart a little in a cup. NEVER put the brush into the pot you will contaminate the whole container and it starts to dry up.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Yarb said:

Speaking of POR15, I’m sure most folks here have bought a can no matter the size, Use it once and attempt to reseal it the best you can only to find out a while later that when you finally get the can open that expensive POR 15 is dried up!! Went to a fellow members shop in Al. No it was not @siteunseen!! Kenny showed me a trick that was passed on to him. When you buy a new can Don’t open it. Take a punch one hole on each side of the lid. Take two lag screws and put ‘em in. When you’re ready to pour remove both screws. Pour out what you need in a disposable cup, reinstall the screws flip it upside down to seal the screws and you’re ready for next time. He’s had this can for over a year and used it multiple times. Maybe it’s an old trick but a first for me. Hope that helps someone out there.

This "two screw in the can lid" advice works really well!  I used Por 15 products for the rust repair and had to go back to the paint can three times. I've wasted a lot of Por 15 paint in the past but not this time. Really a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1