IGNORED

Stuck transmission shifter

swflaz

My 1972 (11/71) 240Z is in the garage for engine work. The shifter has been in the neutral position all that time. Now that it's ready to be test driven we find that the shifter is hung up and will not engage first or second gear but only third and fourth. On an important side note, the car was two miles inland during hurricane Ian and flood water came up about 18 inches on the sides of the car. Don't know whether water may have found a way in. Thoughts please.

11 hours ago, swflaz said:

Thoughts please

I would take the car for a spin in the reverse gear (i guess that one works aswell) , maybe drive a bit in 3rd..  when it heats up the gears will/can come available again (first and second.)

But do check first the gearbox oil for water, first open the filler and then the lower one to let some oil/water out..  if there is any water inthere.. replace the oil. then go for a small ride to let oil go round in the box.

Thanks Patcon and dutchzcarguy. Trying unsuccessfully to get a couple of clarifying pics up. found no water in the tranny and added new lube. however, the barrel shaped piece that the shifter fastens to was seized  up. probably from water intrusion over a few months time. it moved fore and aft in first and second but not to the side to  get to third and forth or reverse. managed to loosen it some with PB blaster and equivalent and some prying/light hammering. moving it backward in an attempt to get it off and clean up. Have moved it rearward about an inch so far. Continuing in the A.M. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. apparently the cause was water intrusion during the above mentioned storm which eventually seized up the shifter. Continual lubrication and gentle tapping finally freed up the shifter so now i can access  four gears and reverse. Now on to the next challenge. thanks for your comments and suggestions. 

• Like 1