IGNORED

75 280Z Wiper Motor Conversion W/ Variable Intermittent Wipe

HusseinHolland

25 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Just for reference, the part number is 28820-N3300. Part #44 here: https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/electric-unit-switch/section-1/240z-260z

Hmm... that diagram shows is in the center of the dash, isn't it in the relay block. Bloody hell they like to confuse you.

58 minutes ago, HusseinHolland said:

Dang. Why the heck would they label the same item as two components and number them differently? Just to fk with ppl???

It's intentional.  You're just the new guy providing the entertainment for us grizzled experienced owners.   ROFL

Soon you'll be just like us.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

Thanks for that, Steve. Dang. Why the heck would they label the same item as two components and number them differently? Just to fk with ppl???

Different groups of engineers and translators could easily account for different names.

• 3 months later...

Now that I have the dash out & easier access to all the fuse/relay panel wiring, I'm going to revisit the interval relay. The other thing I disliked about the wipers is how high the arms & blades sit - when I'm driving the blades/arms interfere with seeing the nose of the car. So, I tried doglegging the stock arms to drop them - that did work to some extent, but not ideal. I also tried doglegging the arms off of a Volvo 240, that was better. Then a friend found arms intended for a 240 that are made in Japan (Trico, like the OEM), so the base mount is identical to the Datsun arm, however the blade attaches to an offset pin instead of to the arm directly. That allows the arms & blades to sit lower than the other options I've messed with. Much happier now

Factory, doglegged, 18" bladesPXL_20230804_164115382.jpg

(Bosch) 240 arm, doglegged

PXL_20230804_155023408.jpg

(Trico) 240 arm (left)

PXL_20230812_170547221.jpg

base comparison

PXL_20230812_170704124.jpg

Just have to refinish them

PXL_20230812_170806503.jpg

view of hood

PXL_20230812_170818607.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@SteveJ - I tried to quote your post & move it here - didn't work, so I copied your notes:

"P = Park

M = Motor

3 = High

E = earth/ground

B = Battery

I = Intermittent

W = Washer

2 = Low

Notice that the 3 isn't shown on this diagram and is also unused on the 75.

Oops, I made an error. The 75 wiring diagram shows the 7 terminals being used. I think I made the right corrections above. The weather is cooling off soon, so I may be in the garage more in the near future. I can do some testing I've been wanting to do."

So, what gets confusing is the use of the alpha & numeric terminal locations. The motor diagram shows H & L, so having 2 also represent Low makes no sense. 

I made a sketch with the motor &  plug, the stalk & relay, so I can figure out which pins to use for the VW delay relay.

2 (yellow-green) isn't even used with the Honda motor, so it clearly has no current bearing on any operation.

original_51e23706-8225-4db2-8b88-a9e88cf31c67_PXL_20230914_175604407.jpg

• 1 month later...

To close the variable intermittent feature out - I couldn't find any permutation of wiring (using the stock int. relay wiring) that would make the VW relay functional. Something about the way Nissan switches the ground circuit just doesn't work out. I'm not about to re-invent the wheel & re-wire the circuit from scratch, so I just put the OEM relay back. I'm not planning on driving the Z in the winter or inclement weather, so as long as the wipers work as wired, that's good enough at this point. I do have to remove the transmission & delete the staged park spring mess, mine doesn't work , and just ends up not parking as low as it should most times.