IGNORED

Modern Relay replacements for 280Z Fuel Pump Control Relay and Electronic Fuel Injection Relay?

JagoBlitz

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade all fuses and most relays in my 1977 280Z.
Are the any good modern standard replacements for the Fuel Pump Control Relay and the Electronic Fuel Injection Relay?
Or is the only way to achieve the same function by using multiple standard relays?
Thank you for your help.

image.png           image.png

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't  reviewed the Z EFI wiring diagrams yet - however, if the system relay requires an ignition pulse to trigger the injector ground circuit like most Bosch EFI, then there are various relays that can do that.

This Volvo-based page (about half way down) has details on using a VW relay - 321906059C, 321906069D, 321906069G or 321906069H.  There is discussion of timed pulse for the pump(s), since that is a feature of the LH systems Volvo uses. Perhaps that will serve your needs?

Edited by HusseinHolland

You won't find a single relay to replace the EFI relay UNLESS you use a relay designed for the Bosch system. The nice thing is that you can still find the relays. Just look for the EFI relay on a Beetle. It's the same.

• Like 2

Nice! Although no Volvo ever used that relay - looks much the same as the one Fiat used for it's L-Jet in the 80's though.

Personally, I'd look to update to a less expensive controller, if mine were bad. I'm of the mind that if it ain't broke don't fix it for most things, however if I need to do any rewiring on mine, I'll probably go with a less costly 2 relay setup

38 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

Just google Bosch 0 332 514 120 and you will find them for the Porche 912E, BMW's, Mercedes, Opels, Volvo, Peugeot etc. 

It will plugin and work perfectly.

My car was built 08/1977 - I think I have a different relay layout. Or we are talking about different relays.

Edited by JagoBlitz

That was the change over to 78. Yes, you have different relays. The good news is both are available as new, old stock, (NOS) for reasonable cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115076416128

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113692357729

I purchased a clock from the seller in the past.

I suggest you edit your signature (find it in your profile) to indicate the build date of your car. That way you will get more accurate replies.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, JagoBlitz said:

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade all fuses and most relays in my 1977 280Z.
Are the any good modern standard replacements for the Fuel Pump Control Relay and the Electronic Fuel Injection Relay?
Or is the only way to achieve the same function by using multiple standard relays?
Thank you for your help.

image.png           image.png

If you break the Fuel Pump Control Relay in to two separate relays I think that you'll find that you can build the circuit easily with two common relays.  The EFI relay is a very simple relay with one actuator controlling two circuits.  You could also go to the fuel pump control section of the FSM and build your own circuit based on their pump control chart.  Nissan just combined them for convenience.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/g/relays

image.png=image.pngcontrollingimage.png

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If you break the Fuel Pump Control Relay in to two separate relays I think that you'll find that you can build the circuit easily with two common relays.  The EFI relay is a very simple relay with one actuator controlling two circuits.  You could also go to the fuel pump control section of the FSM and build your own circuit based on their pump control chart.  Nissan just combined them for convenience.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/g/relays

The only question I'd have is whether the standard micro relay rating (25a) is sufficient for an external fuel pump. It may be safer to use the standard cube/mini relay for that?

Edited by HusseinHolland