IGNORED

Is the 280Z auto transmission the same as the one in a 240Z?

AK260

Hello from across the pond.

Someone in the UK forum asked the question: is the 280z auto trans the same as one in the 240z?

Given the years and myriad differences between the models I can’t imagine that to be the case. I can well imagine internal differences like ratios etc but what of physical dimensions?

The 280z wasn’t for the UK market and we are “mostly” a manual loving nation - so the question may be better answered here with greater experience. Why am I asking? Pure curiosity and for the learning / building my own knowledge bank!

Anyone replaced a 240z auto ‘box with a 280 one and has any thoughts /advice / or even a write up on this?

I can’t seem to find anything on Google! It keeps pointing me to swapping out an auto for an MT. Thanks in advance and apologies if it’s a dumb question written with blurry eyes while having insomnia!

• Like 1

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but according to https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-assembly there are four part numbers for automatic transmissions. 

Of course, the gear ratios can be found in the FSMs on this site. The 73 FSM was the first that I found with AT section in the FSM. The rear end ratio is the same across all years. I can't think of a reason why there would be external dimension differences that would adversely affect installation.

As for tips/tricks advice, I know I have seen a thread here or there on swapping in an automatic either on this site or zcar.com. The only recommendation I can make is to modify the wiring to the solenoid to add the neutral safety switch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AK260 said:

Thank you Steve! Much appreciated chap.

No problem. One thing I forgot to mention is that the gear ratios of the transmissions are in their respective FSMs. I'm working in the office today so I don't have ready access to my copies at the moment.