IGNORED

Fuel pump eccentric on a 2.8L

kcpope

Pretty sure the wiring for it is there though.  Look at the last few posts in the Z's on Bat... thread about the V-3 kit.  Mechanical pump alone does not work well.

Oh boy, that’s not good to hear[emoji51] Can anyone weigh in on this? Anyone running regular SUs on a L28?

Here’s my setup. Like I said, still going through the previous owners work so be gentle [emoji6]

925e11dce79889def580cd4b893b7c85.jpg
4c2612ed5c9270d0de7f70ca2a550326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more of a hot weather problem.  But it is something to be aware of.

Another thing to be aware of is the quality of today's mechanical fuel pumps.  Quite a bit on the forum about problems there.  So even if you get an eccentric you might still have a problem.  You can do a fair check of the pump by moving the lever by hand.  

It's just a part of owning an old Z car.  Each model and year seems to have their own special problems.

I'm posting doom in everyone's thread.  I'll take a break.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cant see what kind of mechanical pump you have, but it is possible to rebuild the original ones with quality parts. I ran a l28 block e31 head with a mechanical pump years ago. I only recall hard starts when really hot or if it had been sitting a long time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kcpope said:

Closing lock? Can you elaborate on what that is?

A chain has 2 ends.. they meet at one point.. (in your case ON that picture AT 3 o'clock !!  You know what 3 o'clock means? that's to the right of the middle bolt, seen from the front.)

It looks like there is the closing lock..  It's to long ago for me that i looked at the timing of a L28 but there should be a chain lock in your chain were the ends are connected..  I see something odd in the chain at 3..  Just check the chain for irregularities.  Also if you can bend the chain in the wrong way to much it's worn and needs to be replaced. If the chain is very loose replace it anyway.

If your chain is like this one.. not bending (to much) in the wrong way, it's still good.. (On a Heuer Front bench vice.. one of the best there are.. 😉 ) 

20211009_140825.jpg

• Like 1

Anyway.. i would check about anything on that car when i saw those things like that fuelpump without the eccentric! So check if the engine turns without hitting some valves or leak oil/coolant. check if there is cooling and oil and when started keep a close look at the temperature.. Also watch for fuelleaks.. (as that fuelpump has never worked in that config.)

• Agree 1

Anyway.. i would check about anything on that car when i saw those things like that fuelpump without the eccentric! So check if the engine turns without hitting some valves or leak oil/coolant. check if there is cooling and oil and when started keep a close look at the temperature.. Also watch for fuelleaks.. (as that fuelpump has never worked in that config.)

Yep, that’s my plan. Slowly working my way through and checking all critical components. Thanks for the input[emoji1360]

• Like 1

I think that dutchz means that there is a plate missing.  If it was a bike or motorcycle chain we'd call it the "master link".  Not sure that Nissan timing chains have one though.  But, considering the odd fuel pump who knows what the PO did in there.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since you have the valve cover off now is a good time to verify all of your timing marks and check your timing chain for wear.  Set your damper mark at zero, make sure the tight side of the chain is tight, check the notch and groove alignment, check the distributor timing marks.  Determine where everything is now so that when you're trying to get it running you'll know your starting point.  It will save a lot of fumbling around later.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think that dutchz means that there is a plate missing.  If it was a bike or motorcycle chain we'd call it the "master link".  Not sure that Nissan timing chains have one though.  But, considering the odd fuel pump who knows what the PO did in there.
image.png.0ce983fbe45008e42f642037a3aaa16e.png

Ah yes, master link is what I’m familiar with. Sounds good.