IGNORED

Where to find vinyl like the original - pillar trim - rocker panel threshold

inline6

I've started searching online for the vinyls which could be suitable replacements for the original that was used by Nissan on my car, a 1971 240z.  For now, I am specifically looking at the A pillar, and front windshield header trim, and I am looking at the vinyl which was used as a covering on the black metal trim piece, which I call rocker panel threshold trim.  I am looking for suitable new vinyl materials which are "close" replacements. 

So far, I have determined that there are vinyls with "backing" and "non-backed" vinyls.  However, searching for suitable replacements is not going well.  Anyone have any luck sourcing vinyl that is close or anyone have any advice to help me source these?

Pics for reference:

A-Pillar trim (has backing):

IMG_20220821_115943.jpg  IMG_20220821_120002.jpg  IMG_20220821_115411.jpg

Rocker threshold - Early type with vinyl covering (non-backed) - also interesting that the underside is bare metal - no paint or primer and very susceptible to rust:

IMG_20220821_120921.jpg  IMG_20220821_120850.jpg  IMG_20220821_121421.jpg

Rocker threshold - Late type with crinkle paint - note: primer/paint on the under surface:

IMG_20220821_121108.jpg  IMG_20220821_121030.jpg  IMG_20220821_121052.jpg

Edited by inline6

I've been searching on and off again over the last few days to try to find suitable vinyl replacements for the areas mentioned above.  Tonight, I came across a vinyl that looks similar to the original vinyl glued onto the scuff plates.  It took me a while to realize that I needed to search for "vinyl wrap".  I kept searching for non-backed vinyl and was coming up with nothing.  

Ebay auction 

It is cheap enough ($10 including shipping), so I think it is worth a try.  I haven't yet found an A pillar trim that looks like the original material.  I have found some that are nice.  My trim pillar trim was carefully removed and is reusable.  I may go that route.

Interesting solution. Can’t quite make out the pattern.

I might suggest going to a big vehicle upholstery shop in your area and having them look through their sample books and suppliers for various vinyl patterns. I couldn’t believe the number of options they showed me when I did this years ago.

Here is a close up picture showing the difference in texture and color of the old and new scuff plates. I purchased the old vinyl wrapped one in 1984 and got the newer texture painted one in 2015, neither one has been used.

20220830_115724.jpg

Another interesting fact about the early ones is that they first came with a five hole pattern, and the holes are dimpled. I still have a rough five hole one that I saved when I put on a replacement in 1984. The inner rockers on my car, both have five holes to match.

For reference here is my collection. The two with pink tags have been on my 7/70 car from 1979 and 1984 respectively, until I removed them for my current restoration.

20220830_115342.jpg

20220830_115435.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 2

This is great!  Thanks for posting these pics.

Another material I have been looking for is a vinyl for the tool storage compartments.  I have had sourcing some used ones on my list for a very long time, but haven't been able to find anything.  

I am contemplating using a cloth material - gluing it to a 1/8" foam backing to "semi" replicate the original look.  Here is a cloth I found:

tool compartment cloth.jpg

https://www.decorativefabricsdirect.com/MORSE-BLACK-Diamond-Fabric-p/7036211.htm

This vinyl would probably be more durable, but looks considerably different:

marine vinyl.webp

https://www.fabricguru.com/marine-vinyl/marine-vinyl-diamond-outdoor-fabric-black.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5Kl3cwLQmn_bZARZ-xjpzzLBqujGFLs8qjcoWdEbapQ8zzvbzNIH3HBoCCCwQAvD_BwE

Edited by inline6