IGNORED

Gas pedal sticks when slowly pressing

gotham22

I am having trouble with my gas pedal sticking.  If you push all the way down and then let go it pops back up.  However, if gently press it the pedal it will not return to the up position.  I replaced the throttle spring but that didn't help.  Is there a specific specification for the spring?  I also fully cleaned the linkage to make sure there was not dirt or grime holding it up.

Get someone to push it down while looking at the linkage coming out of the firewall under the hood. The linkage could be rubbing against some other item ( Brake booster valve insulator.) That sometimes comes out of the sleeve and moves forward and can cause binding of the linkage.

Edited by Diseazd

I had a similar problem with a '70 I bought a few years ago.  Both springs were connected to the heat shield and the spring at the pedal was good.  I found that the linkage that was clipped to the post at the firewall had too much resistance and would not move freely.  To compensate, a previous owner added an extra spring at that linkage.  I disconnected it and ground down the post and it worked fine.  I suspect my problem was extra paint.