IGNORED

Reconnect broken off corners, interior plastic panels

kenward1000

Trying to refurb the interior plastics of a series 1 hatch interior.  Thinking of super glue plus a layer of something really thin on the backside.  Concerned that a thick repair will impact ability to attach.  Would love to hear from someone who's been there and done that.  Thanks.

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

Yup in the main panel, not the drains. I would get some fine stainless mesh and melt it into the backside with a heating iron. I plastic weld panels a lot for the vehicles I repair. I'm not a fan of super glue. Really doesn't work that well in this situation. A good epoxy might work but the nice thing about plastic welding is it allows to to work the repair some when it gets soft and dress it smooth when it cools. I would mesh across the hole and repunch the hole when it cools. Google some videos for plastic welding.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

I'll take a look at that panel tomorrow I removed from the parts car I have, if it's in better condition and you are interested, I'll let you know. 

That would be great to replace that broken panel with a better one.  Thanks.

Ha-ha once again I am late to the party.

If Jim^^ S30Driver does not have what you need I believe I have a better one than you show in the pic. 

Although I like the plastic weld idea, I might have to give that a try on some other plastics I have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

Ha-ha once again I am late to the party.

If Jim^^ S30Driver does not have what you need I believe I have a better one than you show in the pic. 

Although I like the plastic weld idea, I might have to give that a try on some other plastics I have. 

Please show me what you've got available.  Thanks!

I have two, one has extra holes in the middle and corners, for PO's extra screw downs?? 

The other has a stain but is more intact. Both have crusty gaskets and some dirt/rust. the flaps look ok, but rusty screws.

I don't usually clean stuff up, unless I am going to use it or put it up for sale. I have way to many parts to clean them all. 

I just bought another parts car last night. 5/72

IMG_5318.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

• 8 months later...

I've been doing some work on my plastics lately.  JBWeld Plastic bonder epoxy bonds to the plastic nicely.  I'm using a combo of that epoxy and fiberglass cloth rebuild voids and to give breaks and cracks a little extra reinforcement.  It's super messy, but it's also strong and I expect additional longevity out of the parts.  With this solution, you could work on the back side of the part for minimal refinishing.

IMG_9189.jpgIMG_9194.jpgIMG_9556.jpg

Edited by Randall.K12
  • Like 1