IGNORED

I thought I was done with Z cars

emccallum

Cover up the sunroof with a "period correct" vinyl top?  Just kidding ... 🙂

Welcome back to the Z community - I took a long hiatus myself, around the time that the original IZCC mailing list closed down.  My last running Z got sidelined in 1994, and my focus shifted elsewhere.  Came back in 2014 when I finally pulled that 240 out of storage and began the restoration process.  I seem to work in decade chunks, so hopefully the restoration will be done by 2024.

• Like 1

Welcome back.  I'm in Spartanburg, not too far away.  I posted a link on your classified post, to an ad for a car for sale in Rock Hill that may have a decent roof.  It looked rusty, but not perforated.  I'm in the same boat.  My 77 has a sunroof.  But I've managed to obtain a relatively good roof panel for when I decide to fix it.

3 minutes ago, the_tool_man said:

Welcome back.  I'm in Spartanburg, not too far away.  I posted a link on your classified post, to an ad for a car for sale in Rock Hill that may have a decent roof.  It looked rusty, but not perforated.  I'm in the same boat.  My 77 has a sunroof.  But I've managed to obtain a relatively good roof panel for when I decide to fix it.

Looks like there are a few of us in the upstate! Thanks for the link, I didnt get a notification. I think I found a donor roof down in Ga, hopefully heading there Friday to get it.

Here is where I am now, except I tore down the motor and getting it ready for the machine shop. Lots of sins were committed on this car from a previous owner. I really should document them and make another thread. Carpet stapled to the interior panels, missing one flywheel bolt, lots of SAE fasteners, etc. Luckily they werent hack electricians!

20220408_165204.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Looks like there are a few of us in the upstate! Thanks for the link, I didnt get a notification. I think I found a donor roof down in Ga, hopefully heading there Friday to get it.

Here is where I am now, except I tore down the motor and getting it ready for the machine shop. Lots of sins were committed on this car from a previous owner. I really should document them and make another thread. Carpet stapled to the interior panels, missing one flywheel bolt, lots of SAE fasteners, etc. Luckily they werent hack electricians!

Where in GA? Resurrected Classics? Max is a member here, but he rarely posts.

13 minutes ago, emccallum said:

20220408_165204.jpg

The paint job on that car looks familiar.  I grew up in Anderson, and had an acquaintance who had a Z back in the '80's.  I've long since forgotten his name.  But IIRC his dad owned the service station we used a lot.  I'd see the car there pretty often, being worked on.  He painted the car a couple of times.  But the last time I saw it, it was black and red just like that one.  Could it be the same car?  I drove a 77 Celica GT back then, and was always jealous of the Z.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the_tool_man said:

The paint job on that car looks familiar.  I grew up in Anderson, and had an acquaintance who had a Z back in the '80's.  I've long since forgotten his name.  But IIRC his dad owned the service station we used a lot.  I'd see the car there pretty often, being worked on.  He painted the car a couple of times.  But the last time I saw it, it was black and red just like that one.  Could it be the same car?  I drove a 77 Celica GT back then, and was always jealous of the Z.

It was from Anderson! A college friend at Lander was from Anderson and owned the car. He had it a couple of years and bought another car. Parked the Z at his parents shed in 1986.....and it never moved again. He lives in Ca now and needed the car gone. He remembered that I had a z and contacted me. Not sure if that is lucky or unlucky.....like offering crack to an addict. 

Here is what it looked like when I drug it out a few weeks ago. Look familiar??

20220402_103220.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, emccallum said:

It was from Anderson! A college friend at Lander was from Anderson and owned the car. He had it a couple of years and bought another car. Parked the Z at his parents shed in 1986.....and it never moved again. He lives in Ca now and needed the car gone. He remembered that I had a z and contacted me. Not sure if that is lucky or unlucky.....like offering crack to an addict. 

Here is what it looked like when I drug it out a few weeks ago. Look familiar??

20220402_103220.jpg

That's almost certainly the same car.  Same wheels and paint for sure.  I think the wing and air dam are the same.  He had louvers on the rear glass, which I think I see on the car.  Anderson is small now, and was much smaller then.  The odds of two identical Z's, so heavily modified, in the same town has to be nearly zero.  That's cool that the car still exists.  I always wondered what happened to it.

Edited by the_tool_man
  • Like 3

That is pretty cool that you know the car. It was originally brown with tan interior. I was going to put it back to the original color, but I after knowing I need just about every interior panel, vinyl and headliner I have decided to go back with a stock exterior color and black interior. Thinking white or silver. I am typically a completely original type, but sourcing every piece of tan interior is tough and brown just doesnt get me excited. Everything else will be as close as possible to OEM. 

I actually have a complete original 74 exhaust that is in very good condition. I may see if that will fit. I have had these hubcaps in storage for over 30 years! They were removed by a dealer and never used. Mint.

20171224_140126.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, emccallum said:

Yes, I think I was conversing with Clay. A little hard to get them on the phone. Are they legit? 

Yes, they are. I linked @26th-Zup with them when he was looking for some parts. I've also helped them with some customer's cars.

• Like 1

Resurrected Classics: I was looking for the hood prop clip that welds to the top of the radiator frame.  Max cut one out of a car and sent it to me.  They have some replacement body panels and I bought a rear valance and spare tire well from them.  Very well done replacement body panels.  Yes, they are legit.

• Like 2