IGNORED

I thought I was done with Z cars

emccallum

3 hours ago, BoldUlysses said:

I've been meaning to drive down to Auburn to pay them a visit.  Seems like a good outfit.  They sold me a nice reproduction set of 4 rear finisher panel bottom clips for $20 off eBay when other online sources wanted $30 per clip.

Anyway, nice find and story!  Always nice to rediscover a car you had a connection to.  Makes the restoration process that much more meaningful.

In for some "current state" engine bay + interior pics, and that list of mechanical sins the previous owners committed!

If you want to come down this way, I think the Georgia Z Club is planning on going to the PoBoys Cruise In in Canton. I think that's a little over an hour and a half from you. The Cruise In is the 3rd Saturday of the month, and I think we're planning to show up in June.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

If you have room for it... (and as you take everything off the chassis) .. i definitly would go for a rotisserie! (Make one that is universal for cars!)

Thanks, I have a car dolly that gets the car up pretty high and allows me to roll the tub around. I have a two post lift in the shop if I really need it up in the air. I just dont have the room for a rotisserie. I am maxed out on space and I have a car stored at my sons house, that is overstaying its welcome :). 

I have been researching the undercoating. From reading and what I found on my car, I am going to use a "undercoating" underneath, then spray body color over it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The body is on hold waiting for some replacement metal, so I decided to tackle the heater box and other small stuff.. It was in rough shape. I think it was go to party place for the mice.

I had to remake one of the flaps, create a new spring, and get rid of a lot of rust. I got lucky and had some products left over from past restorations that I could use. Hood insulation from a BMW worked great for the foam around the heater core and headliner material from an FJ40 for the flaps. The older I get the less trips to the store I have to make.

20220624_125212.jpg

20220624_125125.jpg

20220624_125113.jpg

20220624_125103.jpg

• Like 3

The finished parts shelves are slowly filling up. Note the electric antenna with the pointy tip! That was a bitch to get back working. The plastic cable had come loose from the mast. I heated up the mast and was able to join them back. Not to mention all the crud and corrosion inside. The next to top section has a bend, so at full up it looks like a commercial for Peyronies disease! But it does go up and down, very smoothly. I need to source some new exterior hardware for the antenna. Wish I could find a new mast. I guess I could buy a NOS one on ebay for 4k! Crazy.

20220625_162930.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received some parts back from powdercoating. I started assembling some things as I wait for the body shop. I should get the motor back in the next week. We were waiting on the hardware to get plated, then realized the idiot who last worked on the motor did not stamp the crank and we had the wrong bearings. Searched high and low and finally found the right ones. 

I am thinking of assembling the motor and subframe including suspension then lowering the body on to it. I think that would be easier. Anyone else ever done it this way?

20220805_145211.jpg

20220805_145101.jpg

• Like 1