As Seen on Facebook - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

As Seen on Facebook

Featured Replies

So I ran across a post in a Facebook group from a guy in Australia who has made a 3-D print of an oil fill funnel that screws into the valve cover. I have a similar one for my non-Zs, and I found it to be a handy tool, preventing a lot of spill opportunities during oil changes. However, while the guy's price for the funnel is reasonable, shipping to the US more than doubles the price. 

Owing to my redneck heritage, the wheels starting spinning in my head. It was about time I broke the rust loose in there anyway. I figured that there had to be a way to improvise a similar solution. By golly there was. I bought a cheap aftermarket oil cap and drilled progressively larger holes until I got it up to 13/16 diameter. Then with an old funnel lying around the garage and some Harbor Freight 2-part epoxy, I think I have a solution.

Behold...

20220324_212422.jpg

Ha! Great pragmatic, backyard ingenuity!

Personally, part of the fun in changing oil for me is the sketchy balancing act of trying to both keep a funnel steady while simultaneously dumping in a bunch of oil down said funnel. Funnel starts to fall, gotta reposition it with one hand while still pouring the heavy oil the other without letting it spill all over my pretty engine bay and wasting a couple bucks. It's the threat of catastrophe that makes it fun! Throw in a too long, too narrow funnel...

  • Author
5 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/BuiltOnPurpose/videos

^

This guy makes them, he has an interesting series of content about an ITB build.

Yep, that's the inspiration. He only wants $15 US, but it costs an additional $20 to ship to the US. It was only about $8 in parts for me to make my contraption. If shipping was only half as much, I would have purchased his.

A little redneck er I just cut the bottom spout off my funnel, it fits the hole and doesn't wobble with those 5 quart jugs. Cost, $0.

Totally off topic but I just got a Chrome warning of data breaches at thezstore.com, hybridz and some other z related sites. An FYI comment I guess. See ya.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

A little redneck er I just cut the bottom spout off my funnel, it fits the hole and doesn't wobble with those 5 quart jugs. Cost, $0.

Totally off topic but I just got a Chrome warning of data breaches at thezstore.com, hybridz and some other z related sites. An FYI comment I guess. See ya.

Strange. I'm not getting those warnings, yet.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.