IGNORED

Fake Z for Japanese GT500 Race Series

260DET

Nissan making a big deal of the new Z to be raced in the GT500 series yet it's not a real Z. Check this, a two litre turbo engine with sequential transmission and a special chassis. What is this race series going to tell us about the new Z? Nothing, absolutely nothing. What lala land do Nissan live in, the original racing Z, that they are riding on the back of, was basically a stock Z!!

LOL at the "fake" hyperbole.

You're a little late to be complaining about Super GT's regulations, as what we see now (a shared 2-litre turbocharged 4-cyl engine and tube frame chassis) has been the norm in the GT500 class since 2014. We've had at least seven years of Nissan 'GTRs' running that spec, which is even more poignant. That's just the way it is these days. Same for all the major manufacturers. 

Don't I remember you waxing lyrical and whimsically about the Z32-era IMSA GTO 300ZX Twin Turbo race cars? What did those tube-framed, plastic-bodied race cars "tell" you about the road going models? Nothing much, I'd say.

4 hours ago, 260DET said:

...the original racing Z, that they are riding on the back of, was basically a stock Z!!

"The Original Racing Z" was a Fairlady Z 432-R, a limited production homologation special with lightweight body pressings, plastic windows, 100 litre fuel tank, LSD and a 24 valve twin cam engine. So yes, basically 'stock'... LOL    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I only comment on what interests me so covering everything Nissan is left to the self appointed expert who trolls around here. Secondly by referring to a near stock racing Z it should be obvious that I was referring to the SCCA series and not a highly modified Japan only Z.. 

Pray tell, is trolling me good for you, you seem to try hard to put me down but fail every time. But don't stop trying, it's amusing.

Edited by 260DET

Guys, guys... I think we all are sorta in agreement here. Any racing league has restrictions on what you can and cannot do. At the end of the day, the cars you see racing are removed from the car you'd buy at a dealership. Sure, some things are more far removed from reality than others - slapping the body of a car on a tube frame with an absolutely built engine, ridiculous suspension, no interior, and a sequential transmission is way different than a stock car. Everything that makes that racecar go is different, for sure, but the point is, they're trying to sell the car.

I'm not gonna lie, I like a Ford Fiesta - not because it's fuel economy or something like that, but because they've made a long line of good rally cars. Doesn't mean I've bought a Fiesta, but, hey, if it came down to it, I'd buy a Fiesta over some other manufacturer's car because of Ford's legacy in rally. Same could be said of the GT500. Ya know what I mean? 

• Like 1

I'm sure Nissan has something in the works with smaller series drivers, but I've yet to see any media reviews or anything about the car. I'd expect some reviews to start trickling in around summer  and maybe some cars start to trickle in.

Media has been kinda tight around the car, there are some spottings in LA and Sacramento but besides that not much, at least in my feeds.

GR Yaris looks fit, too bad it's not available in the USA. ;(

1 hour ago, 260DET said:

First of all I only comment on what interests me so covering everything Nissan is left to the self appointed expert who trolls around here. Secondly by referring to a near stock racing Z it should be obvious that I was referring to the SCCA series and not a highly modified Japan only Z.. 

Pray tell, is trolling me good for you, you seem to try hard to put me down but fail every time. But don't stop trying, it's amusing.

Trolling? Remind yourself of the title you chose for this thread. "Fake Z..."?

You seem to talk about race cars a lot, but I get the impression you don't know all that much about the world of motor racing. Yes, the cars taking part in Japan's Super GT series are nothing like what you can buy in the showroom.

You seem dismayed, but also surprised? Bizarre.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:54 PM, 260DET said:

Nissan making a big deal of the new Z to be raced in the GT500 series yet it's not a real Z. Check this, a two litre turbo engine with sequential transmission and a special chassis. What is this race series going to tell us about the new Z? Nothing, absolutely nothing. What lala land do Nissan live in, the original racing Z, that they are riding on the back of, was basically a stock Z!!

This is totally unrealistic.  When pros go racing, their cars are NOT the street versions.  This has been true since about the 1930s.  What you see on any race track may look like a stock vehicle, but it has nothing in common with stock engine, suspension, bakes or rubber.  In many cases it has little to do with the stock body or aerodynamics, either.

OF COURSE what you see on the track doesn't tell you anything about a stock Z.  Stock vehicles haven't been in professional racing for about 90 years.  But it helps sales!

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...