IGNORED

Series 1 hatch parts?

kenward1000

Trying to refurbish these components.  Top priority is locating a mystery part.  Looks like an interface piece between the big plastic panel, and the funnel.  One of them is good to go, other one had disintegrated beyond any hope of repair.  Have looked at the parts fiche multiple times, haven't been able to find a part which matches. 

I understand, finding the part number doesn't guarantee that the part is available, but it's a start.

Would appreciate a ping if anyone knows what this is.  

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

The way I understand these to work is rather funky for such a well designed car. The large panel vents into the car from the chamber in the hatch just openly. 

The smaller slit in the two vent pieces are also open to that chamber. crafting the vent to the outside of the car through the chrome vents on the large slit. 

The tubes are just for draining water out. Which drains right onto the hatch sill, promoting rust. There was no direct connection from the big panel to the smaller pair of vents. These also let in a lot of fumes that billow around the back of the car. 

At least that is what I determined from refreshing my S1 hatch vents. No wonder they went to the B pillar vents.

• Agree 2

I agree with @Terrapin Z' but I would like to add one small point. Unless I'm mistaken, the function of the openings in the black panel  on the inside of the hatch is to let air escape (not enter) through attached rubber flaps that act as a one way check valve. Supposedly to block exhaust fumes from entering. Here are a few pics from my 7/70 car while I was taking it apart, hope they help.

20200927_081213.jpg

20200927_094109.jpg

20200927_094127.jpg

20200927_094831.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

I agree with @Terrapin Z' but I would like to add one small point. Unless I'm mistaken, the function of the openings in the black panel  on the inside of the hatch is to let air escape (not enter) through attached rubber flaps that act as a one way check valve. Supposedly to block exhaust fumes from entering. Here are a few pics from my 7/70 car while I was taking it apart.

Thanks for the functional pic's @CanTechZ I agree completely the intention was to exhaust the cabin pressure / flow.  I was only stating there was no direct path between the two points. 

To @Zed Head's point making some seals is the only option going forward.