IGNORED

Brake master cylinder identification

zed2

Please help me identify the brake master cylinder in the attached photos.  (I believe the brake master cylinder is for the 1969-8/1971 240Z part number 46010-E4602.) 

I obtained several NOS parts from a foreign car repair center several years ago.  The owner could not verify the part number of the BMC.

Thanks,

Keith

Brake master cylinder 1.jpg

Brake master cylinder 2.jpg

Zed Head,

Per CPM (https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/brake/brake-master-cylinder/from-sep-71) the post 08-1971 is below.  Note the positioning of the forward most reservoir is behind (in reference to the front of the vehicle) of "R" line connection

Brake master cylinder Post 08-1971.jpg

The Page BR-3 and -27 show the forward most reservoir is forward (in reference to the front of the vehicle) of "R" line connection

5 minutes ago, zed2 said:

Zed Head,

Per CPM (https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/brake/brake-master-cylinder/from-sep-71) the post 08-1971 is below.  Note the positioning of the forward most reservoir is behind (in reference to the front of the vehicle) of "R" line connection

Brake master cylinder Post 08-1971.jpg

The Page BR-3 and -27 show the forward most reservoir is forward (in reference to the front of the vehicle) of "R" line connection

The Nissan Factory Service Manual is where I got the images.  Choose your source.

Interesting how far off the two are, time-wise.  Not sure what's going on there.  The FSM's I downloaded from this site or others.  The 72 FSM files come with a cover image that says 1972.

Somebody on the forum will know what's what.  Might be that the change happened in 1972.  The build date is what you see in the cparpartsmanual data.  August/Sept 1971 is the changeover.  Maybe the 72 FSM did not keep up.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, zed2 said:

Please help me identify the brake master cylinder in the attached photos.  (I believe the brake master cylinder is for the 1969-8/1971 240Z part number 46010-E4602.) 

I obtained several NOS parts from a foreign car repair center several years ago.  The owner could not verify the part number of the BMC.

Thanks,

Keith

In short, I think that your assumption is correct.

Assumption: early car and a late M/C...

The external difference from early to late is the size of reservoirs that are swapped. What's the internal difference? What would happen if you swapped the late reservoirs to the early reservoir positions and hooked the rear brake line to the front M/C position and the front brake line to the rear M/C position?

Edited by w3wilkes