IGNORED

78 280Z rear hatch nylon guide removal

One Way

Here are a couple of pictures of a new stopper.

20211114_164743.jpg

The lower rubber piece is about 10 mm tall at the thickest point. I think that ridge is about 3 mm thick. As you can see it is quite pliable.

20211114_164810.jpg

I hope this helps in your thoughts to restore them. Frankly for me, it was too easy to spend a little money and never have to think about it again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I just might reconsider and purchase a new set.  CHRISTmas is coming soon.  I really enjoy refurbishing the old original pieces rather than purchasing new replacements.  A bit more of a challenge and this project has never been intended to be show quality so a nicely refurbished part works just fine for me.  Thanks for the illustration on the soft rubber piece to keep the spring protected.  My question is how the parts are plated or painted withe the nylon sliders still captured in the grooves?   I have not had much time to evaluate my parts since the first post.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC

58 minutes ago, Patcon said:

With the spring and rubber removed,  the slider moves freely. When plated in a tumbler, it moves around enough to plate most of it

I threw them complete in the bucket with al the other bolts and came out fine.. that is without the (already perished)  lower rubber thing..  I installed them without that lower rubber block and works fine..

I am not at all familiar with the plating process, but being in a tumbler I guess it would get mostly covered.  The lower rubber block function seems to be cleaner appearance since the compression spring is captured in the nylon slider and the base has a tiny knob to keep the bottom of the spring positioned.  It appears that the slider was placed into position and then the backing plate was spot welded? to the front slider bracket at time of assembly.  I enjoy these little projects because I can sometimes squeeze them in to my odd work schedule, family and church responsibilities.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.