IGNORED

78 280Z rear hatch nylon guide removal

One Way

The resurrection project is moving towards the rear hatch area.  Looks like I may be purchasing the new replacement repair panel if I can not fabricate a decent looking piece.  A quick project on that portion of the car is the guide brackets with the nylon slides and small compression springs. One spring was completely gone, the other mostly intact.  Is there a way to safely remove those nylon guides so I can media blast, clean and paint those brackets and later reinsert the nylon guides.  I really do not want to bend the bracket to remove them. Not sure how they were assembled at the factory since the bracket is spot welded.  Any tips will be appreciated.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

I was quite surprised that this part is still available through Nissan and other suppliers.  All told it would be around $50 to get a new pair.  Just trying to budget where possible.  There are many more important places to put $50 into this resurrection project and the rear hatch actually functions quite well as is but just want to clean up and at least paint these parts.  The nylon slider is in good shape.  I would need 2 small compression springs and not sure of what was originally placed to cover over the springs.  That part is long gone.  It really interests me how this part was originally assembled to have the nylon slider captured in the bracket.  Trying to send along a picture with my wonderful wife's help.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

IMG_1272.jpg

9 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I assume these are 280zx parts then?

20211113_104518.jpg

Yep.

@One Way The lower block that disintegrated is made of rubber on the factory ones. I just put a set on my 240Z recently. It is a relatively soft rubber, too. Maybe I can shoot some photos and video after I'm done wrestling with the gas tank today.

• Thanks 1