IGNORED

Clutch Throwout Release Bearing Sleeve Question

texasz

I need to buy a Clutch Throwout Release Bearing Sleeve for my build and see that there are different ones available.  Do I need to match this to the transmission (using '77-'19 wide ratio 5-speed)?  The clutch fork (using early 240Z clutch fork)?  Or something else competely?

50 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

You match the sleeve to the pressure plate.  I think I have the chart somewhere.  If I find it, I'll upload it.

I'm not sure I follow.  The 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, and 280ZX all had the same size flywheel and clutch (except for the 2+2 and turbo models) as I understand it.

The clutch diameter and the discs remained the same for all base with a larger diameter for the 2+2 and turbo cars.  What changed was the thickness of the pressure plates over the years and that's why the collar changed many times.  A lot of clutch kits now include the collar since it's hard to know what parts have been swapped over the years.  It's best to measure the height of your collar and then buy a clutch kit that matches that collar height.  

• Like 1

Here's a bunch about it.  You set the pressure plate on a flat surface, put the collar/sleeve with bearing on top, then measure to the top of the ears where the clutch fork contacts. 

There are pictures and drawings in some of these threads.

https://www.classiczcars.com/search/?&q=92mm pressure plate&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, texasz said:

Good to know.  How did you determine which one to buy?

So when I was working on the gearbox a couple months ago, I knew that I needed to change the clutch // get the flywheel resurfaced. I took advise from some other members and went with a light weight flywheel from Fidanza and a turbo clutch to keep an OEM clutch feel. Because of this I was forced to buy a new clutch collar to pair with the clutch. Here is the thread.

Clutch was an Exedy 06030 (Rock Auto)

Flywheel was Fidanza 143281 (Amazon)

Here are the clutch collar related parts that I used: (Coutesey Nissan Texas)

32862-E9300 Control Lever Boot $5.94 1 $5.94
30501-K0404 Bearing Sleeve $24.13 1 $24.13
32710-14600 Seal-Oil $1.22 1 $1.22
30534-E9000 Clutch Release Arm Spring $2.33 1 $2.33
30514-14600 Clutch Release Bearing Clip $4.25 1 $4.25

I matched the year of the clutch kit from the suppliers catalog with the OEM part that nissan would have had in that car. If you already have the parts you want to install, then measuring the pressure plate like Jeff suggested is the way to go.

Edited by heyitsrama
  • Like 2