IGNORED

New Oil Pump Installed, now hearing noise from engine?

Ownallday

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

If you read Diseazd's thread you'll see that he was too.  That was the point - the MSA recommendation did not work correctly.

Yeah I saw that. He wasn't using the performance balancer that I have though. So the bolt and washer kit I have is the one by Kameari I believe that they sell on MSA site.

large102167.jpg

Here is a picture I just took. By the looks of it, the washer is facing the right direction.

20211110_184734.jpg

If indeed, your problem is caused by the damper bolt bottoming out, no matter what your set up is,(and it sure sounds to me like it is), I can promise you that you will destroy the crank in short order if you keep running it. If it were me, I would 1) either reinstall the old damper with the stock bolt, or 2) add another spacer washer to your set up to prevent the bolt from bottoming and see if the noise mysteriously disappears. Nothing else I can add.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:21 PM, Diseazd said:

If indeed, your problem is caused by the damper bolt bottoming out, no matter what your set up is,(and it sure sounds to me like it is), I can promise you that you will destroy the crank in short order if you keep running it. If it were me, I would 1) either reinstall the old damper with the stock bolt, or 2) add another spacer washer to your set up to prevent the bolt from bottoming and see if the noise mysteriously disappears. Nothing else I can add.

Update, washer was facing the wrong way, swapped it and still making noise, tried the oem washer and bolt too and still making noise. The noise can't be heard in neutral. I can hear the noise the most in 3rd gear but I can hear it in all gears. Can't replicate noise with the car in the air for some reason. I should add since I realized I never mentioned it, when I went to start my car after the new oil pump, the car struggled to start and it made a really loud bang. It did this 3 times trying to start the car which to my knowledge I think the starter hit the flywheel or something. It was enough to make the entire car move. I inspected the flywheel through the starter area and can't see any damage. 

16 minutes ago, jonbill said:

That also sounds like it might be ignition timing problem. 

when you set the distributor spindle timing, did you check the engine was at TDC #1 compression? 

Yes, I rechecked it twice, motor at tdc and the spindle facing the 11:25 o clock direction from the top. My timing is about 17 or 18 degrees advanced as that's where my webers tuning likes it. To everyone I know who heard the noise in person does not sound like detonation to them

19 hours ago, Ownallday said:

Yes, I rechecked it twice, motor at tdc and the spindle facing the 11:25 o clock direction from the top. My timing is about 17 or 18 degrees advanced as that's where my webers tuning likes it. To everyone I know who heard the noise in person does not sound like detonation to them

Can I ask how you checked it was TDC compression? did you check the position of #1 cam lobes etc? 

it might not be timing of course, but things keep pointing that way IMO. 

Edited by jonbill

5 hours ago, jonbill said:

Can I ask how you checked it was TDc compression? did you check tje. position of #1 cam lobes etc? 

it might not be timing of course, but things keep pointing that way IMO.

I have a tool that you use for finding tdc compression that you stick into cylinder 1. But I also took off my valve cover and checked the lobes and timing marks and checked timing marks on my pulley. Also used the the oil pump spindle at the top at one point to make sure that was tdc

• Like 1

So maybe we can shift gears so to speak.

Fully charge the battery.

Take the belts off and go for a quick drive! If the noise is gone it's belt driven. If it remains we can rule out belt driven items

I wouldn't go more than a couple hundred yards. Just enough to get to the speeds you here the noise at

It will overheat if you run it too long!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would leave the solution to my problem down. The timing was the issue. I should've caught it the moment I saw the RPMS raise up after the install and the fact that the timing wouldn't allow me to adjust lower than 18 degrees advance. The oil pump spindle is supposedly suppose to be installed at an 11:25 o clock position, however I removed mine and installed it one tooth over so I installed it at about a 12 o clock position. The rotor in the distributor lined up a lot better with spark plug 1 on the dizzy and I was finally able to adjust the timing to 0. I went ahead and set timing to 10 degrees advanced. On my drive home, the noise I've been hearing is completely gone now throughout the entire rev range and all gears. My car did lose power thought haha, but just happy I can finally drive her without having to worry. Gonna have to find someone who can tune webers soon, I got addicted to that power increase haha. Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 3