IGNORED

Zinc platers

Patcon

I used a place in San Diego called Anocote Metal Finishing.  They regularly do car restoration parts. I was very happy with the results and cost.  I think it was $70 per hour.  So whatever they could process in one hour.  So lots of screws and nuts will take more time as the have to wire them up.  Here is a pic of a bin of extra stuff I had done by them but don’t need anymore. All the yellow zinc you see in the engine compartment pic was done by them.  It’s not perfect but it’s well within my expectation.  I shipped a 14 lbs box and got it back in about 10 days including shipping time.  Super easy people to work with.  I don’t think anyone does the real deal chromate anymore for environmental reasons.  The stuff I had done is a yellow zinc plating.  

Ask for: Debbie Cook 

Anocote Metal Finishing

7550 Trade St. 

San Diego, CA. 92121

858-566-1015

20A2CC17-C160-4BB4-A014-1ACBA716EFD4.jpeg

EF5E10A1-F972-47A5-A1EB-40D0D7459BEC.jpeg

• Like 2

I have found that when I have large parts plated (headlamp holders, door mechanisms etc) having it all aqua blasted first (water and glass beads), gives a much more consistent finish. The person who I use adds an inhibitor so rust doesn't start. It obviously gets rid of the dirt surface corrosion, but it may find (I'm guessing) it helps to get rid of impurites, which tend to "leak out" during the plating process. I know there is some washing at the platers prior to plating, but in a sense the parts get two cleans.

• Like 1

Just remember it’s all about prep.  For small parts I use a Harbor Freight tumbler with water and Dawn soap.  If I have some parts that are stubborn, I will throw in a small handful of sheet rock screws into the tumbler.  It’s amazing how much crap comes off after tumbling for a few hours.  On the larger parts I use a dremel with the little scotch bright heads which can be purchased in bulk off EBay or Amazon.  Dremel also makes what looks like a small rotary buffer that uses scotch bright pads and these can cover the larger parts like head light buckets.

2ED394F3-6CC2-4B87-AF37-BAA8415F8E27.jpeg

D0ACF5D4-1779-41AC-BEFE-6A2CA0F662B2.jpeg

• Like 2