IGNORED

Knocking in my transmission

Jabronie

Light turned green and got off the clutch very light and the car kinda choked but didn't stall. So I ran to 3k rpms and shifted to 2nd. Just driving easy. When I went to 2nd is when I noticed my trans or shifter (gear box?) Started to knock.

Any ideas?

Its a 77 280 4speed

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does it make any other noises.
It still could be a broken transmission mount or front engine mount. The knocking you are hearing could be exhaust pipe banging against transmission cross member.
No I don't hear any other noise. But The gear shifter does vibrate. Ok I'll find a way to check for a broken mount

Does it make any other noises.
It still could be a broken transmission mount or front engine mount. The knocking you are hearing could be exhaust pipe banging against transmission cross member.
No I don't hear any other noise. But The gear shifter does vibrate. Ok I'll find a way to check for a broken mount

If it quits knocking when pushing the clutch, then its a clutch issue or the front half of the transmission cluster.
I dont remember the whole thread but I would suspect a main bearing issue
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B5D7TE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Ok I bought this clutch so hopefully this will help. And I'll Google where to buy a main bearing

10 minutes ago, Jabronie said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B5D7TE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Ok I bought this clutch so hopefully this will help. And I'll Google where to buy a main bearing

If you need a main bearing,  its due for a complete rebuild. Try to pinpoint the issue before throwing parts at it

• 1 month later...