IGNORED

Triple carbs for stroker motor

Seppi72

I am in a bit of a quandry.  I have a set of Mikuni PHH 44 carbs on a Mikuni manifold AND a set of Weber 40 carbs on a Cannon manifold.  Either set will need to be refurbished.  I'm trying to decide which ones to put on my stroker motor.  I'm not going to ever race the car but I do intend to drive it in a spirited manner every now and then.

Years ago, I talked with John Coffey about this choice and he gave me his advice as a racer who spends hours near redline - which is something I shall very rarely, if ever, do.  His advice was to use the 44s, but, then again, he was a racer.

I know quite a few members have carbed strokers.  So what have you guys experienced?  And, if I do go with the Webers, what manifold do you recommend to replace the Cannon?

What makes you think the Canon is insufficient?

I think I would do some volumetric calculations to see what the engine might want based on final displacement.

I would also contact whomever is now supporting mikunis II don't remember if Wolf still does it) and somebody for the webers (Redline maybe) and see what their thoughts are on the respective carbs for the proposed engine.

The 40s should perform better down low but that's not an absolute

• Agree 1

Patcon:  It isn't that I think the Cannon manifold is insufficient.  Heaven knows enough guys have used them over the years.  It's just that it may be too long for me to also fit an air box onto the carbs.  It's 252 mm from the manifold/head surface to the outside carb flange where an airbox would be mounted for the Cannon/Webers whereas it's 190 mm for the Mikuni/Mikuni combo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I would also contact whomever is now supporting mikunis II don't remember if Wolf still does it)

Todd Walrich, owner of Wolf Creek Racing, passed away in 2015. The business was taken over by FutoFab, but a quick search of their website does not show anything about Mikunis. I suppose one would have to contact them.

Edited by crayZlair

2 hours ago, jitenshakun said:

There's a handy online calculator for DCOEs that's built by input from users and suppliers. It splits between 40s and 45s on a 2.8L on conservative or spirited driving. Extrapolating, I'd say pick up a bit extra for the 3.1L.

https://www.carbparts.eu/calc

@Mike

Could a page be made to house some of these really helpful links?

Tire calculators

Engine calculators

Zcar registries

Atlantic z car links

Etc

• Agree 1