IGNORED

Hood hinge differences

rcb280z

Been a while since I have posted here.  Lot of health issues. I do visit it often though.

I have been wanting to get rid of the fiberglass cowl induction hood on my 77 280 for quite some time now. Don't know what ever happened to my original one. But, I did find a correct one for my Z. It didn't come with the hood hinges or tension springs. I did however locate a set of hinges with the springs later. I didn't know until just recently that there are 2 different sets of hinges. Looks like they changed mid year, 74.5-78. Anyone know how to tell the difference between the 2 and why the change? Or should I not be concerned about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the only differences I noticed is in the presence or absence of "stops" that prevents the hinge from opening past a certain position. they all bolt to the car and hood the same way.  

Gnose hinges are different and are not interchangeable 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, zKars said:

the only differences I noticed is in the presence or absence of "stops" that prevents the hinge from opening past a certain position

I was wondering if that was the case. To bad I don't have an early set to compare it to. I'll pull mine out of the shed and look for said "stops". Assuming the stops would keep it from opening as far as the ones without. I would prefer the ones without. Hmm....

The stops were just to keep the nose of the hood from hitting the steel bumpers on the lates. I don't think there was ever an issue with early Z bumpers that required a stop to limit travel. The difference in the hinges was just a small piece of metal welded to one of the arms to halt motion at a set point. I'd use hinges without stops if you have them, it'll keep you from hunching over so much...

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1

I couldn't locate anything that would be considered a "stop"

Cliff was nice enough to send me pics of his 240 and 280 and again I couldn't see any difference between the 2. Hopefully in about 3 months I can report back here if there is a difference after installing what I have. Need to remove some minor dings from the hood first. Either way it looks as if they are interchangeable so there shouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1