IGNORED

Red 69 production date car on BAT

zspert

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Who is this Guild person?  I've seen comments but it seems to be a "secret" among the investors and collectors.

'The 240Z Guild' is a restoration/sales business owned by a Mr Robert Jackson and based in Madill, Oklahoma, USA.

Mr Jackson has a certain amount of 'baggage'...

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/robert-jackson-scam.219934/

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343369

• Like 2

Thank you HS30-H for putting it in the plainest of terms. He worked the Mustang crowd and then Volvo owners. Now he's concentrating his efforts in our direction. However, my spies tell me he has branched out into wooden speed boats! 

The first time I spoke out about him, after hearing my first 240 Guild horror story directly from one of his "marks" I got a thinly veiled threatening phone message upon arriving at my shop one morning. One can see how effective his threat was.

I invite any interested parties to Google Robert Jackson Madill, OK for the full story.

• Like 1

I have watched several BAT auctions and numerous fb posts where he interacts.  Somehow, he has convinced a large percent of the 240z community that he is the great watubie of 240z.  I am not sure how he sold that idea.  For the longest time, any time someone posted a car for sale on fb or bat, he would reply with a veiled sales pitch that started with "That is why all our cars that we sell have a ...".  He was always stepping in front of a potential sale for someone. There was even a book published recently that referenced this guy.  I never bought the book just because I assumed the author must not have done any research. Google his name.  Pretty interesting stuff.  Remember. After all he is a used car salesman.  🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 87mj said:

There was even a book published recently that referenced this guy.  I never bought the book just because I assumed the author must not have done any research.

Indeed. The author cannot have done much in the way of checking the bona fides of 'The Z Guild' and Mr Robert Jackson, and he certainly didn't do much fact-checking for the rest of the book either. 

The book was endorsed by Nissan themselves, which - in my opinion - illustrates how low calibre some sections of that company became under Ghosn's time as CEO.

• Like 1

When the marketing geniuses at Datsun US dreamed up the Z Store program, so many years ago, they were completely clueless about the restoration process and probably didn't give a damn given the rarefied atmosphere they enjoyed.  It wasn't until the program was turned over to those who would have to make it work that it was realized how few 240 parts were still on the parts shelves. For example, there were only 60 or so dashes, windshields and back lites remaining in stock. There was NO soft trim. So much for the 200 or so examples the geniuses wanted to run through the program. 

What to do?  Pierre knew about me and my, at that time, very modest offerings, so he had the Datsun  procurement people get in touch so the ball could get rolling, like yesterday!! 

I was in almost weekly conference with 2 and much later 3 individuals at Datsun. Pierre, Les and I had quite a few conversations as well. During that time there was some back and forth about a book that would, among other Z car related topics,  address what the early 70s were like at the Datsun dealers during those golden years.

Fast forward a lot of years and I get a call from a publisher asking if I would like to help them sell a new Z car book. Deep discount for volume, official endorsement, etc. I asked for a copy and a few days later it appeared. Turns out it was written by one of the chaps I had so many phone conversations with back in the day.  Upon reading I found it to be far less than it might have been and while I was listed as a recommended vendor it also had what looked to me like a broad, multi page, endorsement of our friend in OK.  

Thinking that the author might have been conned by the fellow in question I sent him, the author, an email. I asked him if he remembered me and thanked him for giving my business a recommendation. I also gave him a brief on the Guild backstory. No, don't know you from Adam and the 240 Guild seems to be a very solid operation with significant bona fides. I left it there.

It's taken me a very long time to establish the reputation I enjoy. Those like the character in question make my job just that much more difficult. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zspert said:

When the marketing geniuses at Datsun US dreamed up the Z Store program, so many years ago, they were completely clueless about the restoration process and probably didn't give a damn given the rarefied atmosphere they enjoyed.  It wasn't until the program was turned over to those who would have to make it work that it was realized how few 240 parts were still on the parts shelves. For example, there were only 60 or so dashes, windshields and back lites remaining in stock. There was NO soft trim. So much for the 200 or so examples the geniuses wanted to run through the program. 

What to do?  Pierre knew about me and my, at that time, very modest offerings, so he had the Datsun  procurement people get in touch so the ball could get rolling, like yesterday!! 

I was in almost weekly conference with 2 and much later 3 individuals at Datsun. Pierre, Les and I had quite a few conversations as well. During that time there was some back and forth about a book that would, among other Z car related topics,  address what the early 70s were like at the Datsun dealers during those golden years.

Fast forward a lot of years and I get a call from a publisher asking if I would like to help them sell a new Z car book. Deep discount for volume, official endorsement, etc. I asked for a copy and a few days later it appeared. Turns out it was written by one of the chaps I had so many phone conversations with back in the day.  Upon reading I found it to be far less than it might have been and while I was listed as a recommended vendor it also had what looked to me like a broad, multi page, endorsement of our friend in OK.  

Thinking that the author might have been conned by the fellow in question I sent him, the author, an email. I asked him if he remembered me and thanked him for giving my business a recommendation. I also gave him a brief on the Guild backstory. No, don't know you from Adam and the 240 Guild seems to be a very solid operation with significant bona fides. I left it there.

It's taken me a very long time to establish the reputation I enjoy. Those like the character in question make my job just that much more difficult. 

Sadly Mike there will always be companies like the operation in Madill OK that are not to be trusted. As long as owners try and help each other and alert them to suppliers/companies to be wary of then that's about all we can do. It seems once they get caught on a regular basis, business soon dries up and they move onto the next hot thing. Having gone through the Mustang and Volvo owners the 240Z people are the current target.