IGNORED

Another Coil Post

mayolives

I've installing a FAST xr3000 ignition conversion in my distributor.  Straight forward install. No big deal.  Also I have a Fast 191 inductive coil.  I plan to use rivnuts to mount both the module and the coil to the fender near where the original coil was located. (280Z)  The inductive coil has a goofy mounting bracket that puts both + & - electrical connections very close to the mounting bracket where it will mount on my fender.  It's a good looking piece and I'd rather not modify it but the those connections bother me.  Any ideas for mounting it without cutting on the bracket?  

So the Fast I91 coil has 4 screws. The positive and negative terminals are below the post for the coil wire. I would look to mount the coil with the terminals toward the front of the car. 

You might want to post some photos of the coil with you holding it in the engine bay in the orientation you like vs the orientation as I suggested.

SteveJ......The orientation that you suggested is just how I will mount it.  But the positive and negative terminals are so close to the bottom side and also the body (fender) area.  I thought about using 1/2" spacers under the corners that will put a little distance between it and the body and be sure each terminal wire is well insulated.  

Use a double-crimp ring terminal with heat shrink. Slide the heat shrink over the wire, crimp the ring terminal onto the wire, and shrink the heat shrink over the crimped area.

If you still want spacers, you could get a kit like this and determine how small of a spacer you can get away with. https://www.amazon.com/Wokape-150Pcs-Standoff-Assortment-Prototyping/dp/B0936WHCLK

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Take it apart and flip it.  

image.png

Flipping it was my first thought.  But the male hi tension plug's height will not allow flipping it.  You can flip it front to back but when doing so the pos & neg terminals are even closer to the bottom of the bracket because of the "cut out" area only being on the front of the bracket.  You would think that Holly (Fast) could have put a little more thought into these parts and had come up with a better mounting bracket design.  This aint no social crisis, just a little bump in the road that I can deal with.