IGNORED

My hood opens without even a bump

v12horse

I need help everyone. I have been having trouble with my hood on my 260z popping open. I don't have to even go over a bump. It seems like  pressure builds up at city speeds and then it pops open. The alignment of the hood is correct and it shuts easily enough, but as soon as I start driving it pops open. I will post some photos of my latch this evening. If any of you have advice please chime in. 

Thank you,

Ben

There is adjustment in this part - it can be screwed farther in or out so it properly mates with the depth of the hood latching mechanism below. You should also check the latching plate for wear. If it's worn to a bevel underneath, it may be unable to hold this part securely in place.

image.png.34e95_LI.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much. I am going to look  at the latching plate for wear. I think that is what it is, but it also seems to be only slightly protruding as if it doesn't get a good grip on the male portion. The spring works, but I wonder if it doesn't have enough tension. I'll be back on later this evening. Thanks.

Ben

p.s. I want to get this fixed before next weekend as I am going on a drive with it as part of my local Concourse d' Elegance that I'll be participating in. I am so excited.🙂

Mine popped open once and I jumped out to shut it without pulling the cable and releasing it completely. I shut the hood on my fingers and was held hostage. Couldn't move enough to pull the handle in the cabin. Stuck in a parking lot locked down by the hood. I had to start yelling for help, I was trapped and it was hurting. Luckily a nice guy came over and pulled the handle, setting me free. I'm super careful about that now because I often drive around with the hood latched but not shut completely. Just another day in my life. ROFL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1