IGNORED

Wanted: Plastic Coke Lever Handle…72

VaCat33

Hello

Recently broke the choke lever handle on my 72. Trying to repair, but it is not going well. I am looking for a replacement. I have attached a photo of a correct handle for 72.

contact me if you have one for sale.

Thanks

Jim

549F9FF9-0020-4361-A6C8-B128FA44D5C3.jpeg

• Confused 1

Ahh.  Are you looking for one of these?  The one on the left is more rounded, softer.  The inscription is white but 'off-white' showing some patina.  I like the finish of the knob better.  The one on the right is more square cut and slightly larger.  It still has remnants of the scotch tape that held the screw in (from the parts box) which makes me think it is new.  The inscription is really white and bold.  I don't like the surface of the black plastic.  I would polish it.  I believe the screws are intended to screw into the metal post.  They don't screw into the handle.

I thought these were from '73 models but what the hell do I know!  These aren't the style for my cars.  PM me if you're interested we'll deal.

CW-

3R5A0717.JPG

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:50 PM, 26th-Z said:

Ahh.  Are you looking for one of these?  The one on the left is more rounded, softer.  The inscription is white but 'off-white' showing some patina.  I like the finish of the knob better.  The one on the right is more square cut and slightly larger.  It still has remnants of the scotch tape that held the screw in (from the parts box) which makes me think it is new.  The inscription is really white and bold.  I don't like the surface of the black plastic.  I would polish it.  I believe the screws are intended to screw into the metal post.  They don't screw into the handle.

I thought these were from '73 models but what the hell do I know!  These aren't the style for my cars.  PM me if you're interested we'll deal.

CW-

There is also a difference between 72 and 73 - related to how far the choke lever is inserted into the handle.  Both will slide onto the metal lever - but only the correct handle will line up with the screw hole in the lever.

@VaCat33  can’t tell from the picture you Posted - where did your handle break?  Did the metal lever tear out the back of the handle? That seems to be what happens when the set screw is missing. If the handle snapped the top off the base - that’s a different problem.

Carl

Top of handle broke off just above the top of the metal lever. I repaired using plastic epoxy. Looks OK, not great, but not sure how strong. Hence my search for replacement. Think I found what I need. Thanks.

Jim

8 hours ago, VaCat33 said:

Carl

Top of handle broke off just above the top of the metal lever. I repaired using plastic epoxy. Looks OK, not great, but not sure how strong. Hence my search for replacement. Think I found what I need. Thanks.

Jim

That is usually "age" and choke cables that need lubrication and/or adjustment at the carb's. - easy to put too much force pulling in the handle.

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I apologize if I'm repeating myself but these are a great upgrade. They'll take any looseness out of the original setup and by doing that you have less chance of breaking the choke handle.

https://zcardepot.com/products/choke-lever-mounting-plate-reinforcement-240z

I completely agree.  In fact, I mounted the plate and also replaced my choke cable per the instructions below: 

https://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/repair-choke-cable/

I hung up my cable housing and sprayed some carburetor cleaner inside of it to get rid of the old grease , then shot some Seafoam Deep Creep lubricant inside and let run the length of the housing.  The mounting plate and new cable made the choke engagement so much smoother and will probably save the choke handle in the process.

• Like 2