IGNORED

260z horn, signals, wipers not working

also  - while checking the fuse box with the tester -  of the 14 fuses in there, i had power going through 12 of them ( only two that did not show power were headlights as they were off ) all the other stuff was also off and not powered on - so should it all show power??? or is this   wrong? should it only show power at fuse box when that item is turned on???

Sometimes it's best to start at a connector and work your way through the wiring harness. In the case of the ground you circled in red, unplug the front combination connection and probe the ground to see if it is a ground. Check for continuity between connectors along a wire's path. At some point there will be no continuity and you'll know at least what wire segment is at fault.

You might find that some of your grounds are not grounded due to rust.

I ended up having numerous corroded connectors (get some terminal cleaner), melted wires, wire splices from some long forgotten accessory a PO had installed/removed. In the end, I think I've removed and rewrapped every wiring harness except for those in the engine compartment. I also have a spare dash and cabin harness hanging in my garage that I sometimes use to trace wires.

If it hasn't been done already on your car, you might want to upgrade the headlight circuit (http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/HeadlightRelays/JudkinsRelay.htm

Edited by Jeff Berk

another fuse question....  if i put in the wrong amp fuse but power still goes through the fuse will it effect the item from working..  say the gauges are a 20amp fuse and i put 10amp in will they still work or not????

i am not sure what amp fuses went in so to be safe i think i went lower on several...

Look for the fuse values on page BE-5 figure BE-7. I'm assuming you don't have the fuse box cover or its labels are worn off.

If you start subbing 10 AMP's for 20's, you better have a lot of spare fuses.

Good luck. The wiring can be very challenging. At least it's inexpensive to fix usually. Wait until you get to the mechanical issues.

Edited by Jeff Berk