IGNORED

Prop shaft and half shaft phasing

heyitsrama

Hihi.. yeah.... But Dutch is in a simular way..  I remember that i used to say jam.. (Say J-A-M.. at once.. J without your D!)   we say sjem.. you say djam  (like the strawberry-JAM.. )  but i got corrected in time, i was about 8-9 years old then haha..

Don’t ask why, but it reminded me of this!!!! :p

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, Zed Head said:

Quoting a couple of things that are "not good".

I had a halfshaft was binding along the axis.  I think it was one of the replacements that I mentioned earlier.  It came from a 1978 parts car that had right rear damage, like it had been rear-ended.  I took it apart, cleaned it up, looked for visible damage, and put it back together but it still was binding.  Must have "brinelled" the ball path.

I spent a lot of time cleaning up the mating surfaces for the flanges (the factory paint was peeling, leaving an uneven surface), shaving the burrs off the lock washers (Nissan lock washers are very well-made they dig a substantial burr when you loosen them.  They hold tight.), and then making sure the centering rings were clean and free of dings before installation.  There are a lot of small things that can add up.

Nissan does recommend marking the propeller shaft before disassembly.  Seems like a good shop would have variable thickness circlips to get a u-joint centered before balancing.  Maybe a shop that builds drive shafts.

Check the fit of the slip yoke in the transmission.  Might be part of your problem.

image.png

image.png

@Zed Head I think this is the problem. The new joints are not balanced to the one size fits all snap-ring. 

So find new ones? $

pay for nicer ujoints? $$

Balance? $$?

upgrades? o/ $$🔥🔥🔥

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Take it to someone who can balance them.. i think the best solution.. (if there is no play in anything in that shaft.)

2 shops in the area that can do balancing, one is asking $190 per half shaft. 
I wonder how they balance without adjustable snap rings? Do they weld weights like a prop shaft? Seems like it would be permanent and it would have to be rebalanced at a later time, if the ujoint fails. 

12 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

it would have to be rebalanced at a later time, if the ujoint fails. 

Yes, so it's important that you use good parts.. I've done this long ago, used original Nissan/datsun parts that don't fail after a few month/years..

There are a lot partsstores few are having the right stuff.. why?  because people want it cheap.. not the best solution..

@dutchzcarguy 😞 live and learn i suppose. "dont mess with things that spin"

I pulled the passenger side haft-shaft from the other Z...

The half-shaft on the early 260z is different, there is no spline adapter for the half-shaft at the differential, its just a splined yoke directly on the half-shaft.

Actually thinking about it, the "unbalanced" half-shafts can only go into a r180 with the same spline count, it wont work for a 3.90 STI diff because it cant accept the spline....

Do ya'll use lock-tite on the halfshafts hardware?