IGNORED

Tie Rod and Strut Question

I took my car in for an inspection today and they failed me. The culprits where passenger front "strut mount" and driver front "tire rod inner". I am trying to figure out if these are things I could fix myself. I have a jack, and jack stands, but in the chilton manual it makes it look like they have the care overhead to work on the struts. I am also confused as to what they mean by "strut mount". As far as the tire rod inner I am super confused on the terminology because when you look for parts there is "tie rod end" "tie rod inner" and "inner tie rod end". Any help would be appreciated. 

Is this maybe the tie rod they are referring to :

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-es2085r?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj45CuP8RnIH63azCddqCbxooc1gJGs7UaK3R1I6YEyBap5acLQRO5hoC-OIQAvD_BwE

strut.jpg

In the first picture the strut looks like the gland nut has come loose and the strut cartage is up inside the spring area. 

The second pic look more correct as you can see the nut and just the inner piston is in the spring area. 

Here is a pic of the strut cartage so you can see the inner and outer parts. 

Unknown.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

In the first picture the strut looks like the gland nut has come loose and the strut cartage is up inside the spring area. 

The second pic look more correct as you can see the nut and just the inner piston is in the spring area. 

Here is a pic of the strut cartage so you can see the inner and outer parts. 

Unknown.jpg

What he says, the gland nut that holds strut cartridge or shock in the strut mount will be at the top and if the unit hasn't smashed it's self up too badly you might get away with screwing the gland nut back down. Chances are good you will need to replace both shocks.

The tie rod end that you linked to is probably what they are taking about, but if those are shot and need replacing then you should probably also replace the ball joints while you're in there.

1 hour ago, Terrapin Z said:

I was lazy and missed that, even though it looks completely wrong. 

As far as DIY for the PO, it's not terrible but does require some tools and skills.  And, beware, the gland nut is what holds the shock in the strut tube, and the assembled parts support the weight of the wheel if the car is lifted.  If you lift that corner of the car by the body shell the wheel will stay on the ground.  A floor jack under the control arm would be the way.

image.png

p.s. somebody has put some modified springs in there.  There's only three coils.  There's a certain spring from another car that works if it's cut right.  Somebody has already been in to those struts. 

Is it one of those lowered to the ground cars?  Might be that the shocks have been bottoming out and beat the heck out of that gland nut.  Won't be surprised if they've been stripped completely out.  The picture I posted above shows that there are probably only one or two threads holding the shock in the tube.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

p.s. somebody has put some modified springs in there.  There's only three coils.  There's a certain spring from another car that works if it's cut right.  Somebody has already been in to those struts. 

Is it one of those lowered to the ground cars?  Might be that the shocks have been bottoming out and beat the heck out of that gland nut.  Won't be surprised if they've been stripped completely out.  The picture I posted above shows that there are probably only one or two threads holding the shock in the tube.

This set up looks like the ZX strut. Not the earlier S30 style but S130. I don't where the OP mentioned what car. 

Same problem though. 

• Like 1

QUOTE:  " I am trying to figure out if these are things I could fix myself."                         

Working with springs and struts on these cars requires, knowledge, and the correct tools.  The springs can really hurt you if you don't know what you are doing!  Tread carefully!  If you are not equiped, find someone who is and has the experience to help you or do it for you.  Your pictures indicate to me that your front end needs work and I suspect that your car doesn't handle as it should.                                

25 minutes ago, rogerwilcos said:

Sorry....it's a 1983 280zx base. 

That makes a difference.  Those are probably the factory springs then.

There is a factory service manual in the Downloads section.  Not sure if the ZX springs need much compression before removal.