IGNORED

Barefootdan's 280z Build

Barefootdan

I took apart the rear suspension again to loosen it all up. I was sure to tighten in the correct order and with the weight of the car on the suspension. I feel that this did help quite a bit! Although, I am not sure if my eyes are playing a trick on me or what, but I think I still see some toe happening. I may need to do a quick and dirty toe measurement with some plates to get a better idea! But for now I am moving on until I can get my hands on new wheels and tires.

Other fiddling I did was fixing my fuel gauge. It was always showing empty and never even budged when I turned power on. I started to diagnose the wiring and was just about to pull the gauge when I found a good post suggestion. Grounding at the connector near the fuel tank will simulate a full tank of gas. And funny enough when I did this, the gauge started to come to life! It was definitely sticky and jumped across its sweep until it came to Full. I think it just needed some OOMPH to get it moving 🙂 Glad to see my fuel amount now!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Holy smokes time flies. Been so busy lately and havent had much time to work on the Z. Arizona summers suck the fun out of working on a car. Also moved from AZ to CO and still getting settled in. The Z made it here in one piece (via delivery of course!). Do carburetor jets need adjustment from altitude? I gained about 4K feet of elevation between Phoenix and Denver. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering around in the garage lately trying to tidy things up. I moved my fuse and bus bars from the original location in the passenger footwell to behind the glove box (with the actual box removed). Gives me easy access when opening my glove box while still being out of site. If I ever get vintage air, I can just slide it back down to the OEM spot and make a cover.

Did an oil change from the break in engine oil that was still in there. Then decided to dial in the carbs again for the new elevation. I dropped my pilot to 62.5 and it liked that a lot. But I could never get the crisp throttle response. I decided to take it back to basics and start fresh. I followed these steps and it felt much better. This is from a Mikuni group member, Duffy Mahoney, that was kind enough to share back in 2020:
"Mikuni Tuning 101

I’m not a guru, but it’s pretty simple. Also spelled out in the manual, which I would read a few times. You sort of chase your own tail doing this. Since each step affects each. I would have an rpm gauge hooked up you can see next to your motor. I use a timing gun with rpms visible to tune. Super easy! I did this whole thing 2x in a row. To make sure it’s perfect.
Two main things to tune. Pilot and Linkage
Pilot system (800-1500, I don’t know the exact range) rpms or so. This is the two thumb screws at the flange between the carb and the manifold. Pre-set to 2 turns out from down. These thumb screws change the air mixture for idle rpm range. Be very careful when setting these. I would gently turn each to seated. If you over tighten them it will ruin or damage the carb. Then back off 2 full turns. Factory is 2-2.5 turns backed out from lightly seated.
Linkage- This is critical to making sure the carbs are balanced. This is how much air the butterfly is allowing to flow at idle. It’s the shiny linkage on the side of each carb.
1. Get the car started. Two pumps on the accelerator. Then hopefully it will fire. If I was you I would hook up the choke system (Mikuni calls it the starter system). Once the car is warm and holding a idle you can start.
2. Set linkage first. This has to be done with either the dogbones (or called throttle arms) very loose or off. Dog bones are the small arms that attach the throttle linkage from the intake manifold to the carb throttle linkage. Each carb has a single throttle linkage with a set screw. Using a carb sync (air flow meter) try to get each to be the same (flowing) by small 1/8-1/4 turns. I would shoot 800-900 rpms for each to be balanced at. This is with the engine warm. Basically you are trying to get each to be sucking the same amount of air at idle. This needs to be done before you can get the pilot system done.
3. Set pilots (Total of 3) The goal is to tune each carb to the highest rpm possible. This is can be done with the linkage system on. Basically start at the carb close to the driver and using tiny turns on those thumb screws. You will notice a bump in rpms by turning either clockwise or counterclockwise. So carb 1. Do a single side of the carb. Turn it till it will maintain the highest rpm possible. Then do the other side of the same carb. Once one carb is done work your way through every carb. When I did my car I gained almost 200 rpms by doing this. It’s pretty interesting. I would turn and the car rpms will climb then eventually it will will go lower. Then back that set screw till it maintains the highest bump in rpms.
4. Now that the carbs pilot system is balanced you will need to set desired idle rpms again. I would ask Rebello for what rpms he suggests. But I would guess with your heavy cam you will want 900+ rpms at idle. So again with dogbones off or very loose. Turn each throttle linkage set screw counter clockwise or ccw till the desired rpms are achieved. I would do this pretty slowly on each carb. Matching turns. Like 1/4 of a ccw turn on each. Then using the carb sync match each carb to be exact and are sucking the same amount of air.
Then after this is done I would use a AFM to see if you need/ want to change jets. But I bet it will be a blast to drive by just doing this. If the dog bones aren’t loose enough during tuning you will have bad results. Since setting idle will slightly affect other carbs (I made this mistake).
Hints:
If the car doesn’t want to keep an idle before you start this you can give the linkage a bump. Give each throttle linkage a 1/8-1/4 cw turn then see if it will maintain idle. I set these but it’s a guess.
I set the butterfly’s. Which is one the hardest part of the rebuild. Basically each carb has 2 brass butterfly. Each has an infinite amount of movement. My goal is to get each to allow the same amount of light to pass. But it’s extremely difficult to be perfect. If in a super rare situation you can’t get the carbs to sync up. When can chat about resetting those butterfly’s. I’m 99% sure you will be fine.
Each Mikuni Carb is basically 2 carbs. So when tuning think that they are separate but connected by the throttle shafts to the butterfly.
Floats
You can adjust them on the car without removing them. You measure down to the fuel on each carb via the jet block holder and either raise or lower the float adjustment until you get a satisfactory level. The manual has a fuel level set point. The S5 Mikuni have external float adjustments (kidney bean shaped part) Older mikuni’s don’t and you have to pull the cover to adjust the float level."

Hopefully members here find this as useful as I did. 
One piece this left out was the accelerator pump position. There are three spots on the PHH you can set this to and it effects that initial tip in for throttle. Of course, this is where my problem was! Two of my three carbs were missing the cotter pins, so no wonder I was getting a massive bog. I used the middle spot first and it did help. Moved it to the third (highest) spot and it improved even more. This is where I left it. I'll dig into it when I get street time to see if I need a different size or anything to see even more improvements. 

My next project has been redoing my throttle cable and linkage. Not a fan of how I set it up on my first pass. While making new brackets, I was keen on looking into the design of throttle pulleys, or cams. Its interesting that most of the automotive world uses a fixed radius pulley, while it is very popular in the motorcycle world to use varying radius pulleys. Probably not as noticeable in a car, but a fun project nonetheless. 
I mocked up a "baseplate" for the throttle cable to attach that will allow me to slide in different pulley shapes. Here is the baseplate:

image.png
Then the baseplate, plus a pulley. Standard single radius in this example:
image.png
Varied Radius. Starting at 20% larger for the first portion, then dropping:
image.png

I have a couple in-between curves as well and curious to see if I can tell a difference in the real world. I wanted to keep the overall length within a few millimeters as to not need a new throttle cable for each iteration, but this did limit me in my overall curve shapes. There will be another baseplate, not shown here, that will sandwich the pulley to create a channel that allows the throttle cable to ride in. Everything is connected to a flanged collar that finally locks to the carb linkage.

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to getting some new tires on the Z and took it out for a cruise around the block...this time without the constant worry of the dry rot tires leaving me stranded! It handles so much better and drives way smoother, who would've thought LOL

No overheating issues, solid oil pressure and voltage. The Koni struts need some additional adjustments to get the ride where I want it. 

One thing that I need to fix is the speedometer reading. It is reading nearly double what my actual speed is. Tested it with some neighborhood radar readings to get a baseline. I looked up the issue but most people are off by a few mph's due to tire size, diff ratio, etc. But I am way off, double or nearly so. Any thoughts on whats going on here?

• Like 1

If it was slower I'd say stripped groves in the plastic cog but being twice as fast???

I'd pull the connection/housing out of the transmission and give it a good look over. That's the easiest thing to do that I can think of. Good luck.

And it's the same height as the fill hole so you won't loose any fluid. Jack it up from the passenger's side to move the oil over even further away.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Agree 1